Talk

Advanced search

Please share with me your best beef slow cooker recipe!

(7 Posts)
berri Wed 21-Sep-11 02:06:56

I don't usually eat much beef but have ended up with a pack of chopped stewing beef, and I'd like to try it in my trusty slow cooker - if you have a fantabulous recipe for me I'd love to hear it.

berri Wed 21-Sep-11 19:39:38

Anyone?

Anyone tried the Jamie Oliver Jools' favourite stew in the slow cooker?

aramass Sat 24-Sep-11 10:14:20

I've just made beef and guiness stew and it was delicious. Fry onions, garlic and carrots, stick lean stewing beef in a bag of flour and shake, add to onions and carrots, brown, add a teaspoon of tomatoe paste, add a can of guiness and glaze the bottom of the pan, add half a cup of beef stock, stick in a sprig of thyme and cook at 120 degrees for about 6 hours. Delicious.

Catsmamma Sat 24-Sep-11 10:17:54

Hugh Fearlessy-Eatsitall has a fabulous recipe for Sweet and Sour Shin of Beef, you could use that, but do try and get shin and do it, tis gorgeous!

recipe here

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 24-Sep-11 11:25:57

I make Posh Chunky Chilli.

- 2lbs Stewing Steak cut into a small dice
- 1lb cooked, drained kidney beans (or canned)
- 1lb cooked, drained chickpeas (ditto)
- large onion, diced
- 1 fresh red chilli pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- garlic
- 2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 700g jar passata
- small glass red wine
- salt and pepper
- Fresh coriander
- A few squares of good quality plain chocolate
- Plain yoghurt

Preheat oven to Gas 2 or 160C
- Fry off the steak cubes in some oil until nicely brown and add to the casserole. Fry off the onion, garlic, pepper and chilli pepper in the same juices and add those to the pot with the kidney beans and chickpeas
- Sizzle the chilli flakes, cumin and seasoning into the pan juices, add the red wine, stir well to scrape up all the caramelised bits and pour that into the pot with the passata
- Stir to combine then put on a lid and bake for about 3 hours, stirring occasionally during that time (adapt for however slow-cookers do it)

When the meat is tender, remove from the oven and stir in the plain chocolate until melted. Finish with a blob of plain yoghurt and some chopped coriander. Serve with brown rice.

swanseafoodie Sat 24-Sep-11 17:06:33

my carbonnade of beef. really nice...swanseafoodie.blogspot.com/search/label/Belgian%20food

berri Mon 26-Sep-11 21:04:01

Have added all these to my list, thanks very much <drool>

At least there's one upside to Autumn coming...

Great blog Swansea, annoyingly DS has just woken up but I've bookmarked it to have a proper read later!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now