Talk

Advanced search

Microwaving carrots

(13 Posts)
DoubleDegreeStudent Tue 20-Sep-11 19:57:41

My kitchen gets really hot and as I was standing over the hob a bit earlier, I thought how much easier it would be if I could cook a few bits of veg in the microwave.

I know in Marks you can get little bags of veg that you pierce and then microwave, and I know in theory you could cook veg in a microwave, but how do I do it?

Freezer bag? Bowl with clingfilm? Just a bowl? I thought carrots would be good because it wouldn't be so disgusting if they were undercooked (I am just not one of those people who eats raw broccoli, sorry). How hot? How long?

Or is it all more of a faff than it sounds and just not worth bothering over?

Flisspaps Tue 20-Sep-11 19:59:22

I just stick my veg in a bowl with a bit of water, then nuke for a couple of minutes at a time until they feel done.

Tonksforthememories Tue 20-Sep-11 20:01:39

I have a microwave steamer that i do veg in, even those little Anya potatoes! So much faster grin

DoubleDegreeStudent Tue 20-Sep-11 20:03:10

Tonks I had one of those, but when I left Paris it got all squished and crushed in my suitcase. It was a present - where can I buy another one?

GardenersDelight Tue 20-Sep-11 20:17:25

lakeland does microwave steamers

Tonksforthememories Tue 20-Sep-11 22:39:39

Pampered Chef do too, we've had both and Pampered Chef ones are better by far!

berri Wed 21-Sep-11 02:36:34

I microwave most of our veg - as Flisspaps said just put a bowl with a bit of water, not a lot, just to stop it exploding, then cover and cook. Carrots would take longer than peas for instance, I'd probably say about 3 or 4 mins, give them a bit of a shake around half way through to check.

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 21-Sep-11 06:53:33

Not worth bothering over. Microwaves don't really cook things nicely. They just take them from 'cold and raw' to 'hot and not raw'. Slice your carrots thinly and they cook in three or four minutes conventionally... so no quicker in a microwave.

TotemPole Thu 22-Sep-11 08:55:20

I microwave most veg.

I put the carrots in a dish with a lid, add a bit of water. Cook for a minute or two, then if I was doing broccoli as well, I'd lay it on top of the carrots and cook for a few minutes more until the broccoli was cooked.

seeker Thu 22-Sep-11 08:58:25

I microwave frozen peas, and that's it. I don't think they taste as nice as steamed and it reallly isn't much quicker.

DoubleDegreeStudent Thu 22-Sep-11 19:14:53

Thanks everyone! I might try it one day when I'm only cooking for me and won't be embarrassed in front of everyone.

moragbellingham Sun 25-Sep-11 16:48:03

Matalan do these brilliant things with a steam vent in the lid. I now do my veg in the microwave but haven't tried potatoes yet.

AnnaBegins Sun 25-Sep-11 16:57:44

My DP does carrots in the microwave, in a bowl with some water and covered with clingfilm. I'm still trying to train him out of it as they end up looking a bit dry around the edges but still undercooked!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now