Talk

Advanced search

Oh cock. Just found out what happens if you leave a chicken carcass in the fridge for 4 weeks.

(23 Posts)
CauldronsTrulyReign Tue 20-Sep-11 14:09:22

blush

Best laid plans and all that - I was saving it to make stock and then promptly forgot I'd left it in there.

Nice.

hmm

RunningOutOfIdeas Tue 20-Sep-11 14:12:44

There is worse. We went away for 3 weeks recently. DH Some one accidentally turned the fridge off before we went. I thought the smell of the fluffy cheese was bad until I opened the pack of ham...

Hope yours didn't smell too bad.

CauldronsTrulyReign Tue 20-Sep-11 14:29:54

Oh my word.

Was it nice ham? wink

Smells like something died in my stockpot. grin

RunningOutOfIdeas Tue 20-Sep-11 14:33:32

I am sure it was nice once. I think it will be a few more weeks before I can face the thought of eating ham again.

SoupDragon Tue 20-Sep-11 19:25:02

I remember my school friend leaving the ingredients for chicken casserole in our shared locker over half term.

That was less than pleasant.

Pedicuri Wed 21-Sep-11 14:10:17

I have found nothing that beats the smell of rotten asparagus - left this in a fridge while I was away for three weeks. Bleurgh. It takes a LOT to make me hurl, and I can still smell it if I think about it.
Have never been able to eat it since.....

Xiaoxiong Wed 21-Sep-11 15:26:12

I've got to say, I'd always prefer to know that something had feasted on old food. We moved into a flat that had been empty for a month and the previous tenants had turned the fridge off but not cleaned it entirely - some eggs and milk that was disgusting.

But the most scary thing was the margarine - totally pristine. No fungus or bacteria would touch it. I've followed their lead and won't eat marge now, I think they know something we don't...

spiderslegs Wed 21-Sep-11 16:21:43

I remeber my mother frying some potatoes in chicken fat once, it was truly, horribly rancid, the smell permeated the whole house & clung to everything for weeks.

My sister & I fought our way to the kitchen supressing our gag reflexes & she was standing there frying away, oblivious.

I can still smell it now.

NoBrainer Wed 21-Sep-11 17:36:31

My friend and I went camping by ourselves when we were 16 and didn't bother washing up a chilli pan, just chucked it in a bin bag and it ended up being put in the loft with the other camping stuff. Her Mum found it about 2 years later!! I think it had turned into another life form by then! shock

MrsRobertDuvall Wed 21-Sep-11 17:48:45

You must have a big fridge to lose a carcass!
any dead bodies in there as well? wink

CauldronsTrulyReign Wed 21-Sep-11 19:05:43

grin

No dead bodies.

We have 3 fridges and the RottyCock was in the least used on.

Obv.

blush

pointydog Wed 21-Sep-11 19:11:58

That's what happens if you have three fridges.

SoupDragon Wed 21-Sep-11 20:04:00

I have two fridges. One for food and one for wine.

SoupDragon Wed 21-Sep-11 20:04:25

I never thought I needed one for rotting chicken carcasses too.

CauldronsTrulyReign Wed 21-Sep-11 22:37:19

It's a must.

Life-enhancing.

wink

Quintessentialist Wed 21-Sep-11 22:40:28

oh lucky you! ( I mean it.)

The fun starts now! grin

Now you get to work out who you dislike the most at the moment. And in the dark of the night, you go and hide it in their hedge.....

I have once driven across London with a green chicken carcass in the boot of my car, just looking, just looking for the right place to put it. he he he heeeee!

Come to think of it, you should let TheFirstMrsDevere have it!!! (her building in the backyard thread. If anybody needs a rotting chicken carcass, it is her!)

MustControlFistOfDeath Wed 21-Sep-11 22:50:25

Decided to turn my chest freezer off to defrost it one year when I went on holiday....if only I had actually remembered to put that pack of fishcakes in the bin before we left.

It had been really hot while we were away - the stench that greeted us on our return was like nothing you've ever smelt before shock, ExDP actually threw up outside...I told him to stay the fuck out there (quite frankly his heaving wasn't helping the situation).

The whole house smelt rank for ages. Gross.

Quintessentialist Wed 21-Sep-11 23:13:07

you mean, your house AND garden. tsk tsk.

SoupDragon Thu 22-Sep-11 11:05:30

I want to know who the lucky recipient of Quint's chicken carcass was and why! grin

RedRubyBlue Thu 22-Sep-11 13:36:32

My ex boyfriend lived in a house in London sharing with a couple. They went on holiday for two weeks.

I thought that the HUGE casserole dish 'lived' on the hob because it was too big to fit in the cupboards until I lifted the lid one day......the couple had cooked a casserole on their last night and told ex boyfriend to 'finish the rest'.
After ten days it had bloody trees growing out of it and the smell could be used in warfare. shock

He was pretty grim that ex boyfriend hmm

schroeder Thu 22-Sep-11 15:07:23

Nothing could be as bad as the dead pheasant my db left in the broken freezer for months. yak

Quintessentialist Thu 22-Sep-11 20:46:17

Soupy, A group of blokes who used to do a hard menacing stare as I walked back to my car, after having seen a chiropractor on Fulham Palace road. They used to "hang" by the big bin where the communal waste from a block of flats were collected, opposite where I usually parked my car.....

If you ask nicely, I might tell you the story of the dead half meter long Koi, the summer where temperatures were in the mid thirties.... What happened to the Koi, and how did this affect my neighbours (HA HA HA), and thereafter people waiting for the nr 74 bus.... Because I did not realize neighbours dog got the fish out of the bin, and hid it somewhere clever, as I was ill with meningitis.....

SoupDragon Fri 23-Sep-11 14:10:06

<<thanks lucky stars she lives nowhere near Quint>>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now