Talk

Advanced search

Cooking apple recipe?

(6 Posts)
mmmmmchocolate Mon 19-Sep-11 17:10:37

scrumped purchased some cooking apples while I was out on Saturday and I need inspiration for what to do with them.

I could make a crumble but I don't fancy one right now and they were the windfall ones so they're a bit battered and I don't think they will last until the weekend. Is there anything I can make and freeze to use later on?

4madboys Mon 19-Sep-11 17:18:01

i make a salsa with onions and curry powder and cooking apples that i have with sausages, peas and mash, its yummy.

also parsnip and apple soup, the soup freezes well.

for the soup chop and fry an onion, then add your peeled and chopped apples (2) then four parsnips ish, also chopped and peeled, cook for a few mins, then add stock and leave to simmer until very soft then whizz with a blender...if you are then serving straight away, add a pint ish of milk and heat through, or freeze before adding milk and then when you reheat it add the milk before serving, serve with crusty bread and its a nice meal smile

mmmmmchocolate Mon 19-Sep-11 17:25:47

They sound fab thank you! I'm going to make the soup tomorrow, DD has a swimming lesson so I can cook in the afternoon and reheat. The salsa sounds yummy too I think the DD's would like that too smile

Should have scrumped more than 5 apples grin

4madboys Tue 20-Sep-11 08:46:12

the soup should be nice and thick so you may need less milk/stock depending smile

to make the salsa i chop and fry an onion, and peel and chop the apple (finely chop) fry onion, add a little bit of brown sugar and curry powder (tsp or so depending on taste) then add the apple and cook for a few mins then add a tin of chopped toms, and let it boil for a bit, easy peasy, then i add the peas straight into that mix, or you can cook seperatley, but i do it in the same pan for less washing up!

whimsicalname Tue 20-Sep-11 11:36:03

you can just freeze stewed apple. Cook it down a bit with or without a bit of sugar. mush it up. freeze. Then you can just defrost and stick a top on it.

If you don't sweeten it, you could also use it at a later date in savoury food, like that soup, which is exactly what i'll be doing.

BlueChampagne Tue 20-Sep-11 13:21:44

Baked apples?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now