Talk

Advanced search

what to do with clotted cream?

(13 Posts)
Kveta Mon 19-Sep-11 09:55:44

I have a pot of clotted cream that needs using by wednesday. I got it for my mum and dad's visit, only to discover that mum is on a mega-diet which involves cutting out dairy. So I'm stuck with a pot of the stuff and no idea what to do with it, given that DH and I both work, so can't spend the day eating scones...

any recipes it can be adapted for?

thanks.

bagelmonkey Mon 19-Sep-11 14:50:40

Can't you spend all evening eating scones instead?

bagelmonkey Mon 19-Sep-11 14:56:24

Alternatively clotted cream recipes

GwendolineMaryLacey Mon 19-Sep-11 14:58:19

Um, sorry, what's the problem exactly with spending all day eating scones?

Freeze it. When it's defrosted, give it a thorough stir and it'll be fine. Don't whisk or beat it though.

Or eat lots of scones tonight.

wheredidiputit Mon 19-Sep-11 17:50:29

If you don't want to eat it with scones, how about just a spoon.

40notTrendy Mon 19-Sep-11 17:51:09

Put it on ice cream grin

Tchootnika Mon 19-Sep-11 18:00:22

Crumbles
Any kind of cake/cake-type pudding, but what you really need is also some kind of quite tart fruit jam/coulis/sauce
Meringues (with fruit or fruit sauce) + ice cream - some sort of Eton mess type thing.

Or... here's a good one (I've only tried this with mascarpone, but I bet clotted cream would be goos too):
Get some sort of sharp-ish fruit (pineapple's ideal; kiwi fruits good; berries great - or the whole lot with some banana. Mmmm)
Chop fruit, place in baking tray;
Spread cream on top
Sprinkle brown sugar (can also use e.g. drizzled honey, citrus zest, almonds)
Grill for a few minutes

Utterly, utterly delicious.

purpleturtle Mon 19-Sep-11 18:03:07

The Great British Bake-Off book from the first series has a fabulous recipe for clotted cream cake. It looks like a really boring sponge, but is actually wonderfully light and very very nice.

TheregoesBod Mon 19-Sep-11 18:07:57

My dad was bought up on a farm in darkest Devon and his favourite treat still is a clotted cream sandwich - white farmhouse bread with a really thick layer of clotted cream!

GwendolineMaryLacey Mon 19-Sep-11 18:58:40

<dribble> That sounds so deliciously unhealthy! Yum!

saintlyjimjams Mon 19-Sep-11 19:13:34

We just use it on everything. Fruit salad, strawberries, crumble, Xmas pud, etc etc

Kveta Tue 20-Sep-11 12:27:51

grin at eating scones all evening!

I ended up making fudge (deeply unoriginal). It is yummy, and should keep us going until the end of the day the month!

thanks for the suggestions though! I will remember that I can freeze it if I buy it again in the future!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now