Talk

Advanced search

freezer left open a tiny bit, food partly defrosted but ......

(4 Posts)
Tortoise Sun 18-Sep-11 17:10:34

I have no idea when it was last opened or how long it has been slowly defrosting.
Pizzas for quick tea tonight are partly defrosted. Are they likely to be safe to use baring in mind I don't know how long they have been like it?

wicketkeeper Sun 18-Sep-11 18:18:47

I'm afraid you're going to have to use some common sense - like in the old days before use by dates and the like. Chuck out any ice cream that's gone soft. Ditto any seafood. I'm guessing the stuff nearest the opening is defrosted - things further back are likely to be OK. Open up the packaging and give it a good sniff. If it makes your stomach turn, it's gone off and you must throw it out. Check bread and such like for mould - if you find anything visible, chuck it out too. And anything you decide to use - make sure it's thoroughly cooked, and don't serve it to anyone very young or very old or with a compromised immune system. And the default position - if in doubt, chuck it out. As for the pizzas, if you're worried you could cut off the defrosted part and use the rest.

Tortoise Sun 18-Sep-11 18:54:17

Thanks. Threw most of it out. Bag of veg at the back still solid! Took a chance with pizzas. Nothing else kids could have for dinner. I think DD1 went looking on there last night so think pizza ok. Bread soft, at least that should be ok.

SquigglePigs Sun 18-Sep-11 19:04:43

If it's part frozen still, it's unlikely to have been like that long enough to be a problem. Wicketkeeper is right though - the sniff test is by far the best test. My usual theory in this situation is be paranoid about fish and chicken, uber cook meat, and anything pre-prepped either cooked now or chuck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now