Talk

Advanced search

Plum Jam - added sugar too early!

(5 Posts)
Liskey Sun 18-Sep-11 15:23:56

Hi

DH Was making this plum jam and has added all the ingrediants together and started boiling them not realising you were meant to add the sugar after the fruit boils. Will this turn out ok or will it be 4lb bad plums/

was meant to be following this recipe
www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/11750/angelas-flexible-jam-recipe

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 18-Sep-11 15:43:39

You probably need to cook it a little slower to give the plum/juice time to soften up and reduce. Not a rolling boil... simmer for a while. Otherwise your sugar might overcook.

Liskey Sun 18-Sep-11 15:54:02

cheers for that - house smells very plummy and hoping its not going to be ruined!

Liskey Sun 18-Sep-11 15:56:13

this is the first time we've tried making plum jam - as they were on sale in the market yesterday with 4lb for £1!

4merlyknownasSHD Tue 20-Sep-11 13:58:37

I don't think you can add the sugar too early. I slice the fruit and let it stand, layered with sugar overnight before I put it in the pan. I think your problem might come if you bring it to the boil before you have fully dissolved the sugar. You need to make sure that all the grittiness has gone out of it before it boils.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now