Talk

Advanced search

can someone talk me through how to do porridge in the slow cooker?

(11 Posts)
virgiltracey Sun 18-Sep-11 12:16:07

Do I need a particular type of oats? I just have a bag of Tesco value oats. How much liquid do I put in. How long do I cook for?

MsWeatherwax Sun 18-Sep-11 14:38:27

I did it once and it was AWFUL. No idea if there is a way to make it work, but I'll bump this for you because I want to know too.

chimchar Sun 18-Sep-11 14:39:51

i want to try it too.

bet deemented knows. she is font of knowledge in slow cooking. smile

toodles Sun 18-Sep-11 14:43:25

deemented answered my question on another thread - 2 cups oats, 2 cups milk, 4 cups water. I put the slow cooker on before bed - (midnight) and kids had it for breakfast in the morning,

Bunbaker Sun 18-Sep-11 14:45:26

I don't understand why you want to use a slow cooker. It takes a few minutes in the microwave and uses less energy to make it that way.

booyhoo Sun 18-Sep-11 14:45:38

toodles was it nice? (well as nice as porridge can be)

toodles Sun 18-Sep-11 14:59:57

Yes, the kids liked it. I thought it was a little thick so next time I added another half cup of milk, but then I thought it was a little too runny. You've got to try and see what the best measurements are for your taste.

Oats are easier to digest if soaked beforehand. Jamie Oliver says the same in one of his books so slow cooking through the night I think is ideal.

Even though porridge only takes 5 minutes to cook, an extra 5 minutes helps me in the morning and it's great that breakfast is all ready as soon as the kids get up.

toodles Sun 18-Sep-11 15:00:52

I don't think you need a particular type of oats either.

deemented Sun 18-Sep-11 15:04:14

Yeah, what toodles said grin

I sometimes add dried fruit to mine and maybe a dash of honey and it's delish.

Bunbaker Sun 18-Sep-11 15:04:41

"Oats are easier to digest if soaked beforehand"

I didn't know that. I avoid porridge as it goes straight through me. I might try soaking oats overnight before trying porridge again (on non work day!)

virgiltracey Sun 18-Sep-11 15:26:01

How much does that make? Will it be enough for 4?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now