Advanced search

MN Cook Club - September voting

(87 Posts)
ColdSancerre Sun 18-Sep-11 11:34:31

We have the following suggestions

Starters
Rustic tomato, bread and basil soup
Fresh tomato and basil soup

Roast pumpkin/squash and chickpea salad with garlic tahini dressing (no recipe provided)

Sweet Potato and Sweetcorn Chowder
For 2 people: (double for 4 ppl)
2 small leeks
1 tsp butter
1 tsp fresh rosemary
1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
(about 1/4 pint) of vegetable stock
1 sweetcorn cob
1 tsp cornflour
4 tbsp milk

Slice the leeks and soften them in the butter on a low heat.Add fresh rosemary (finely chopped) and the sweet potato (peeled if necessary and diced into 1cm pieces). Cook gently for two minutes before adding the vegetable stock, and bringing to a simmer.

After 6 minutes add the kernels of sweetcorn cob, and simmer for another 2 minutes. Stir cornflour into milk and add it to the pan. Taste and season, then very gently heat the soup.

Minestrone soup
1 large onion chopped
4 med carrots diced
3 celery stalks diced
i tin chopped toms
2 veg stock cubes
1 tin mixed beans
shredded savoy cabbage
salt and pepper
mixed herbs
tom puree

Sweat onion, carrots and celery in a large pan till soft and translcent (onions) add 2 pints stock and the rest of the ingerdients apart form the cabbage and bring to the boil then simmer untill carrots are softened. Test for seasoning. When almost done add cabbage for 2-3 mins till cooked and serve.

French Onion Soup (no recipe given)

Broccoli and Stilton Soup (no recipe given)

Meat/fish main courses
Braised pork with lemon
Saute chunks of potatoes (about 2lbs worth) in 2 tablespoons of olive oil, add about 2lbs worth chunks of pork, leave to braise with the cover on, add lemon juice, salt and pepper when potatoes and meat are thoroughly cooked (about hour and a half).

Chorizo and pork belly with haricot beans

Pork chops boulangere (basically boulangere potatoes with pork chops layered inside, cooked long and slow)

Stuffed hearts with mashed potato, red cabbage and pears

Pasta pie

Roast Chicken with Lemon, Garlic and Basil
8 chicken thighs and legs, bone in.
Olive oil, good quality and fruity.
2 heads of garlic
1 lemon
Large handful of basil, about 30 leaves.
medium glass of white wine

Season the chicken and put the pieces in a roasting tin. Pour over enough olive oil to moisten them and make a shallow pool in the tin. Lightly squash the garlic cloves in their skin and tuck in with the chicken. Squeeze the lemon over the chicken and drop the empty shells in too. Roast for 30 mins in an oven preheated to 200°C/Gas 6, then tear up the basil leaves and toss them about a bit with the chicken. Return to the oven for 10 mins. Remove from the oven, pour the wine over the chicken, then put the roasting tin over a hot flame and let the wine bubble for a minute.

I serve this with a green salad and some potato wedges, but I peel the potatoes so more of the juices can be mopped up...

Crumbly chicken and mixed vegetable pie

Green Chile chicken enchiladas

Turkey Milnes
A turkey breast steak per person
wholemeal breadcrumbs
beaten egg
seasoned flour
Table spoon of mixed herbs

for the sauce
2 tins of chopped tomatoes
1 diced onion
garlic
splash of white wine
Tomato puree

Dried pasta of your choice

Dip the turkey in flour, then in egg then bread crumbs (mix the mixed herbs into bread crumbs) cook for 1-2 mins on either side till golden and pop in oven for 15-20 mins (i cook most things on 200c in my crap electric cooker so just adjust) wipe pan with kitchen paper to remove excess oil, sautee onion and garlic in smidgen olive oil and then add the wine.After the alcohol has cooked out add the tomatoes and tom puree. Cook pasta at the same time.

Serve pasta then sauce then turkey on top and sprinkle liberaly with parmesan. Also add parmesan to breadcrumbs if you like too.

Vegetarian main courses
Homemade sugo pasta sauce
Brown a clove of mashed onion in olive oil, then add 3 tins of tomatoes and 3 fresh chopped tomatoes, some basil, a tablespoon of salt and cook for 20 mins. Can add chili, olives, carrots, etc.

Porotos Granados
Just fry up a sliced onion, throw in half a kilo or so of cubed squash, sizzle for a while with a teaspoon of sweet paprika, a sprig of thyme and a pinch of chilli, then cover with veg stock and simmer. When the pumpkin is almost tender, add in the kernels sliced off two corn cobs, a handful of sliced green beans and a tin of cooked beans such as pinto or cannellini. Give it a few more minutes, check the seasoning and dish it up with flatbreads or a good crusty loaf. You can dot a bit of sour cream on it and scatter a bit of grated cheese over it too if you like.

Butternut squash, mushroom and chard lasagne (no recipe provided)

Oven baked wild mushroom risotto

Maple chicken & ribs

Roasted mediterranean vegetable lasgne

Puddings
Almond cake

1/2 cup, 112g, 4oz butter
1 cup, 225 g, 8oz sugar
1 tsp almond extract (I like Star Kay)
1 egg
1 cup, 125g, 4.5oz flour
Flaked almonds

Cream butter and sugar, add almond extract and egg. Add flour, mix until combined. Spread into pie dish or round cake pan. Sprinkle flaked almonds on top and lightly press into cake. Bake at 325F, 150C, Gas Mark 3 for 20-25 min.

Choux swans.
Make choux pastry and pipe profiterole sized balls. On a non-stick baking sheet pipe s shapes to make the neck with a blob at the end. Use a cocktail stick to put a beak on the head

Bake

Fill with cream and top swans backs with white chocolate icing.

Apple and Almond Tart
750g/6 cooking apples (Granny Smith)
1/4 c honey
30ml butter
1 cinnamon stick
1t grated lemon rind
5ml lemon juice
15ml brandy

Peel and core the apples and cut into thin slices
Make a syrup by cooking the remaining ingredients together
Add the apple slices and cook for 10 minutes

Put this mixture into a greased pie dish

100g butter
100g castor sugar
2 eggs, beaten
100g ground almonds

Cream butter and sugar together
Add the eggs and beat well
Fold in the almonds
Put topping on to the apples
Bake at 180ºC for 45 mins/until golden brown and cooked
Serve with custard/ice-cream or cream

Jamie Oliver toffee apple tart

Tarte tatin made with pears (no recipe provided)

Apple streusel cake

Blackberry and apple cobbler

Mulled apple crumble with vanilla creme fraiche

Bakewell Tart
125g butter
125g caster sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
125g ground rice
½ tsp almond extract
2 tbsp raspberry jam
Icing sugar for sprinkling

For the pastry

175g plain flour
45g chilled butter, cubed
45g chilled white vegetable fat, cubed
About 2 tbsp cold water
Milk for glazing

Make the pastry, line a loose bottomed 19cm flan dish and put in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes. Keep the scraps for decorating later.

Melt the butter in a saucepan, stir in the caster sugar, and cook for about 1 minute. Remove from the heat, leave to cool a little, then gradually stir in the egg, ground rice and almond extract.

Spread the jam evenly over the bottom of the pastry case, and pour the almond mixture on top.

Roll out the reserved pastry trimmings, and cut into strips and arrange on top of filling to form a lattice, attaching them to the pastry case with a little milk.

Bake on a hot baking tray in a preheated oven at 200°C/gas mark 6 for 45?50 minutes until the filling is well risen and golden and springs back when lightly pressed with a finger. Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve the tart warm or cold.

Pink pavlova with strawberrys and cream (no recipe given)

ColdSancerre Sun 18-Sep-11 11:35:59

Everyone gets one vote per category, post below and I'll tot the reults up end of Tuesday (say 10pm).

Thanks for all the recipe suggestions btw, I haven't included the preserve recipes, how about if we include preserves next time and request recipes?

brookeslay Sun 18-Sep-11 13:40:52

Quick note my Maple Chicken is in mains not Veggie sorry to point out ColdSancerre.

Can we vote for our own ? Or give a second choice in case there is a tie ?

ColdSancerre Sun 18-Sep-11 13:44:22

Oh gah and I thought I was being careful, I'm so sorry. Everyone please make note that the Maple Chicken should be in meat mains not veggie.

Of course you can vote for your own!

LadyGooGoo Sun 18-Sep-11 13:44:23

Hello,

I am a useless cook, so had no suggestions to offer on the other thread, so lurked with rumbly tummy.

However, I am a very talented eater, so I now have an opinion if I may?

I would like to cook:

Roast pumpkin and chickpea salad

Chorizo and pork belly with haricot beans (am vegan but sounds yummy!)

Porotos Granados (seems web chat timely)

Apple and Almond Tart

ColdSancerre Sun 18-Sep-11 14:09:01

My votes

Roast pumpkin/squash and chickpea salad
Roast chicken with lemon and basil
Porotos Granados
Toffee apple tart

My votes:

Fresh Tomato and Basil Soup
Maple Chicken and Ribs
Roasted Mediterranean Veg Lasagne
Toffee Apple Tart (OMG that sounds sooooooooo good) <greedy>

Sorry, I meant to post the recipes for my soups on the other thread, but totally forgot to go back and do it.... So, here they are:

French Onion Soup - it says beef stock, but it is just as tasty using a decent veg stock, like Marigold Bouillon.

Broccoli and Stilton Soup - this is enough for 4 generous portions

1 large onion , roughly chopped
olive oil
1 large potato , peeled and cubed
2 pints vegetable or chicken stock
1 head broccoli , about 300g, roughly chopped
150g Stilton (or any blue cheese really)

Cook the onion in 1 tbsp olive oil in a large pan until soft, add the potato and stock and simmer until the potato gently for about 15 minutes.

Add the broccoli and cook for 5 minutes until just tender but still bright green. Add about 2/3 of the cheese, blend until smooth and then season to taste. Serve with the remainder of the cheese sprinkled on top.

LaWeasel Sun 18-Sep-11 16:04:59

My votes:

Fresh Tomato + Basil Soup
Maple chicken'n'Ribs
Porotos Granados
Bakewell Tart

HowToLookGoodGlaikit Sun 18-Sep-11 16:24:08

Sweet potato & sweetcorn chowder

Roast chicken with lemon garlic & basil

Toffee apple pie

brookeslay Sun 18-Sep-11 16:35:08

My Votes

Starter : Rustic Tomatao Soup

Main: Maple Chicken `n` Ribs

Veggie : Porotos Granados

Dessert: Apple Almond tart

brookeslay Sun 18-Sep-11 16:36:09

sorry * Tomato

californiaburrito Sun 18-Sep-11 16:49:01

My votes are-

Rustic Tomato Soup
Chorizo and pork
Porotos Granados
Apple Almond Tart

I second Californiaburrito smile

LoveBeingAMummyAgain Sun 18-Sep-11 17:01:57

Tom and basil soup
Chorizo and pork with beans
Oven-baked Wild Mushroom Risotto
Almond cake

I also have plenty of second and third choices blush

Are we going to have a whole new set of choices next time? Would hate to miss out on some of these.

ColdSancerre Sun 18-Sep-11 17:23:19

You can still make them even if they aren't picked. I wondered if next time we could do a preserve, a cake (or biscuits) and something savoury? Just that people mentioned preserves and cakes on the suggestions thread.

thinbridewaitingtogetout Sun 18-Sep-11 17:55:37

Think i will vote for;

Broccoli and stilton soups

Crumbly chicken and mixed veg pie

Med veg lasagne

and

Toffee apple tart

yy I like the idea of preserves/cakes etc. Have lists of recipes as long as my arms for them!

ComradeJing Mon 19-Sep-11 05:46:20

I'm happy with any of them smile

TheSkiingGardener Mon 19-Sep-11 06:14:38

Sweet potato and sweetcorn chowder

Chorizo and pork belly

Wild mushroom risotto

Bakewell tart.

pregnantpause Mon 19-Sep-11 09:07:27

Can anyone join in? If so my vote is

Brocolli and stilton soup

Pork belly and chorizo

Roast veg lasagne

App/e and almond tart

ColdSancerre Mon 19-Sep-11 09:20:13

Yup anyone can join in! Thanks for your vote.

Kveta Mon 19-Sep-11 09:52:43

mmm, it almost all sounds so nice!! with the exception of the hearts...

Sweet Potato and Sweetcorn chowder

Pork Belly and chorizo

Porotas Granados

any of the apple recipes (I have 2kg of apples to use within the next few days before they all go bad, so possibly all the apple recipes for me!!)

Xiaoxiong Mon 19-Sep-11 11:17:32

Oooh sorry, I'm responsible for some of the "no recipe given" ones...I didn't realize we were supposed to contribute the recipe as well prior to voting! I will post the recipes up when I get home.

Voting-wise, I vote for:
Roast pumpkin and chickpea salad (voting for myself blush - but it's so delicious and there's a butternut squash coming in my veg box!)
Maple chicken
Porotos
Toffee Apple Tart

piebald Mon 19-Sep-11 12:24:42

I vote
Rustic Soup
Choizo and pork
Green chile enchiladas
Bakewell tart
Also really good and easier than Delia recipe for French Onion Soup
Peel onions and cut in half and slice longways as thin as you can. Slice as many as you can be bothered. I did about 10 medium ones for 6 of us the other day. In a heavy bottomed pan heat a little oul an cook them gently for quitwe a long time, put a lid on and let them cook down and begin to caramelise so they are very soft and sweet. POr red wine over-just enough to cover them and bubble up then add beef stock (i just use Oxo) Up to the amount you need and add more or less cubes to taste.if its abit pale add a blob of Bovril
I dont have the grill or bowls to melt chees on top so i make cheesy toasts and serve them on top

TobyLeWolef Mon 19-Sep-11 14:24:01

French onion soup
Chicken Enchiladas
Roasted veg lasagne
Toffee apple tart

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now