Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Stews, casseroles hotpots whatever you call them...to 'seal the meat or not to seal the meat..

(11 Posts)
jjazz Sat 17-Sep-11 22:00:24

Quick question: does anyone cook one pot dishes by adding the raw meat straight in to the stock/beer what ever without browning it first. If so how do you do the veg, sweat it off first of all in raw together. Just interested in a quicker less fuss but still tasty way of getting a dinner in the oven...as ever!!

rubyrubyruby Sat 17-Sep-11 22:02:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LemonDifficult Sat 17-Sep-11 22:03:25

They don't brown the meat in Levantine cooking (Morroccan tagines etc) but most recipes written by British chefs add that step. I've cooked lamb without browning the meat as instructed in a recipe (Paula Wolfert LAmb with Olives and Lemon or something) and it was delicious. I think the key though is long cooking.

SamsGoldilocks Sat 17-Sep-11 22:04:24

i always do it ( the browning bit that is) - actually that's not true - sometimes sausages escape a sealing. Sometimes i throw the onions in first but usually second and cook them off a bit before adding other veg

mefifi Sat 17-Sep-11 22:06:32

I only do if I am going to put it in the slow cooker, if its going to be cooked in the oven or on the hob I dont bother.

ThatllDoPig Sat 17-Sep-11 22:08:44

why mefifi ?

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 18-Sep-11 09:30:48

For lamb/beef dishes I'm a browner. I like to get the meat to a nice dark mahogany colour, I give any veggies a turn in the meat juices and then I rinse out the pan with whatever liquid is involved as a finale. Think the caramelising process adds a bit of extra flavour. Don't like pale, floppy boiled onions.... bleurrrghh.....

debka Sun 18-Sep-11 13:18:43

I made beef in beer this week. I gave the onions 5 mins to soften them up a bit, then stuck the meat in with the beer (and flour, carrots etc), and cooked for 2-3 hours. Was GORGEOUS- better than when I've browned the meat, the sauce was richer and the meat softer.

wicketkeeper Sun 18-Sep-11 15:58:39

If I have the time and cba, I'll brown the meat - but normally I don't (there's always something more important to do). It makes no difference whatsoever to the taste ime. I don't sweat/soften the onions or other veg either.

My normal recipe - braising steak, onion, carrot, mushrooms, cover with water, into the oven for a couple of hours then thicken the gravy. Three minutes prep time max. Serve with potatoes (or on slices of bread if you're really pushed for time!!).

For a more sophisticated taste - lamb pieces, tin of tomatoes, carrot, caraway seeds, and enough water to cover, into the oven for a couple of hours, then thicken the gravy.

And even quicker - pork chops, onion, small tin of pineapple chunks, into the oven for about an hour. Serve with pasta. No need to thicken any gravy - spoon the juice over the pasta.

jjazz Sun 18-Sep-11 20:57:59

how would you thicken the gravy after cooking this way?.. blend a flour/water mixtrue into the stew or something more complicated....

mefifi Sun 18-Sep-11 21:56:39

@ThatllDoPig - I think that there is a little of of scum because of the slow heating, and on the hob there isnt because you bring it to the boil before hand.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now