Talk

Advanced search

Easy supper for 12+

(9 Posts)
TheMitfordsMaid Sat 17-Sep-11 20:07:47

I've invited a few people over and we've more people that I can sit comfortably around the table, so the menu needs to be easy to eat when perched on the arm of the sofa or standing up chatting. I'm a bit stumped for ideas: a big bowl of chilli seems like the most likely contender but I struggle to cook large quantities of rice. I'd quite like a range of hot but easy dishes - any ideas?

Catsmamma Sat 17-Sep-11 20:10:27

chilli, baked tatties, fajitas.....just do the meat and peppers and let folks assemble their own, tacos/nachos

all very casual.

LadyGrace Sat 17-Sep-11 21:02:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Batteryhuman Sat 17-Sep-11 21:04:34

Easiest carbohydrates for large numbers are couscous or crusty bread.

Or you could make lasagne, fish pie or shepherds pie so no extras needed apart from a big bowl of peas with the fish pie of course.

WhinGin Sat 17-Sep-11 21:25:03

I like to do a cornbread topping for chilli if I am catering for many www.nigella.com/recipes/view/cornbread-topped-chilli-con-carne-126 then you could maybe do a chicken casserole with Jackets for variety, or a curry and naan breads?

storminabuttercup Sat 17-Sep-11 21:28:27

How about pork sandwiches with stuffing and apple sauce, there's a recipe on BBC food?

TheMitfordsMaid Sat 17-Sep-11 21:50:33

I like the sound of all of these ideas, thank you so much! We don't drink but obviously expect that others will, how many bottles of wine/beer should we get in, do you think?

storminabuttercup Sat 17-Sep-11 22:18:44

Im always over catering where wine and beer is concerned, but for 12 people I would get 6 red, 6 White and 3 cases of beer, just to cover all bases but it wouldn't go to waste here <hick> do you know what people drink?

sarahtigh Mon 19-Sep-11 17:24:16

if a week day if 6 couples assume 6 driving 6 not so i think the average would be half a bottle of wine per person so 4 bottles should cover iit make sure soft drinks are nice though but if a weekend and all walking getting taxis i would go with about 8 bottles of wine and 12 -15 bottles beer/lager but you know your friends

if eating on chairs crusty bread bette rthan rice do you really what to be finding grains of rice for next 2 weeks crumbs easier to hoover up

follow with cheese board apples and grapes or cakes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now