Talk

Advanced search

Anyone know a recipe for these cakes I'm after making?

(10 Posts)
MamaMimi Sat 17-Sep-11 14:49:54

We used to get these cakes in our school canteen. Since school (which was a long time ago!) I've seen them on market stalls that sell home made biscuits, cakes etc.

I don't know what they are called so I can't do a search for a recipe. They are pale-ish golden sort of mounds, like flattened cones, with a small scoop out of the top which is filled with jam, and they have a sort of sugary glaze to them. They taste quite rich and have a claggy yet light & crumbly texture.

Anyone know what I'm talking about, what they are called and/or have a recipe for them?

TIA

mumatron Sat 17-Sep-11 14:52:16

Rock cakes? Can't link on my phone but try googling. I did have a recipe but it was rubbish.

<Useless emoticon>

DaisySteiner Sat 17-Sep-11 14:53:09

Jam thumbprints?

DaisySteiner Sat 17-Sep-11 14:54:04

Actually, that's not the best link. How about this one?

Catsmamma Sat 17-Sep-11 15:01:50

a viennese whirl affair?? they can be sandwiched together or done in a small cake shape with a dip filled with jam.

Mermaidspam Sat 17-Sep-11 15:02:06

Melting moments? linky

MamaMimi Sat 17-Sep-11 15:52:37

Thanks for the suggestions.

They're not rock cakes, viennese whirls or melting moments though.

The jam thumbprints look like they could be the ones, they certainly look similar to the cakes I'm thinking of but it's hard to tell exactly from the picture. I will try the recipe and see. I don't recognise that name tho' so I wonder what else they might be called?

MamaMimi Sat 17-Sep-11 16:00:23

That's the jam thumbprints in the second link btw DaisyS, the ones in the first link are nothing like 'em! smile

DaisySteiner Sat 17-Sep-11 16:44:36

I've seen other recipes for them which use vegetable shortening (ie Trex) which makes them really light and crumbly.

MamaMimi Sat 17-Sep-11 20:32:33

mmmm! sounds good - thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now