Talk

Advanced search

Butternut Squash

(14 Posts)
SinicalSal Fri 16-Sep-11 16:02:47

I have a butternut squash.

What can I do to incorporate it into a main meal? But not soup.
I have a pretty well stocked freezer & larder but have no risotto rice.

TIA!

SinicalSal Fri 16-Sep-11 16:42:32

bumpity bump

ShirelyKnotSHIRE Fri 16-Sep-11 16:44:22

I love butternut squash and noticed that recipe of the week uses one.

Curry? I make a fantastic vegetable curry using butternut squash.

You can roast it and stuff it with (not risotto) rice and bits and bobs?

SinicalSal Fri 16-Sep-11 16:59:04

Thanks Shirley, might do the Stuff it with bits and bobs approach - am not venturing outside in this weather for ingredients with a fluey toddler and being 9 days overdue.

CointreauVersial Fri 16-Sep-11 17:07:00

Butternut Gratin:

Peel squash and cut into circles 1/2 cm thick (stalk end) and chunks (seedy end).

Put chunks into pan with boiling water, place circles on the top and simmer for 10 mins.

Set aside circles, drain the chunks and mash with 100ml double cream, salt, crushed clove of garlic, grated parmesan and some grated nutmeg.

Spread in gratin dish, place the reserved butternut circles on the top, add another slosh of cream, dots of butter and some more grated parmesan.

Into the oven at 180C for 40mins until bubbling and golden.

Absolutely yummy, creamy and garlicky, always gets loads of compliments when I cook it!

SinicalSal Fri 16-Sep-11 17:18:17

That sounds lovely Cointreu, waht do you serve it with? Pasta?

berri Fri 16-Sep-11 22:55:47

This is a fab recipe

www.allaboutyou.com/food/recipefinder/sage-roasted-butternut-squash-pancetta-pasta-recipe-10137here

berri Fri 16-Sep-11 22:56:10

oops sorry
here

CointreauVersial Fri 16-Sep-11 22:56:56

The gratin is nice with roast pork, or roast chicken.

BlingLoving Sat 17-Sep-11 19:44:28

I am coming late to this thread but butternut is my favourite veg so a few ideas from me::

Roast it, sprinkle with cinnamon at end and serve as side dish

Roast it and make a warm(ish) salad with baby spinach, toasted pine nuts and mild soft goats cheese

Wrap chicken breasts in Parma ham, place in baking dish and pop chunks of butternut, halved tomatoes and garlic cloves around. Sprinkle some herbs and/or chilli then drizzle with olive oil and bake for about 30 minutes.

BlingLoving Sat 17-Sep-11 19:45:17

Also, great fir veggie curries. Thai red curry paste, coconut milk, butternut and peas/spinach is delicious!!

SinicalSal Sat 17-Sep-11 19:50:44

Oh I love the salad idea BlingLoving

in the end I roasted it, and tossed it with pasta w cheese & creme fraiche, topped with toasted seeds. Was v nice indeed.

practicallyimperfect Sun 18-Sep-11 07:58:26

I love this Butternut squash and lentil curry. It is yummy!

Ingredients:

Oil
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
1 medium butternut squash peeled, deseeded and chopped
2 tbsp medium curry paste
1 x 200g can chopped tomatoes, drained but retaining the liquid
vegetable stock (Vecon and hot water)
100g dried red lentils
baby spinach

1. Heat the oven to 170°C/Gas 3.Oil ovenproof pan and cook the onion with the lid on for 5 minutes until softened. Add the butternut squash, tossing with the onion then cook for a few minutes again with the lid on. Stir in the curry paste and tomatoes.

2. Add the vegetable stock to the retained tomato liquid, until the tomato and stock mixture is up to 600ml. Add to the pan along with the lentils. Stir well and bring to the boil, then remove from the heat and place in the oven for 30-45 minutes, depending on the size of your butternut squash chunks.

3. The curry is cooked when the sauce has thickened and the lentils are tender but still whole and a knife slides into the butternut squash easily.

4. Remove from the oven and stir in a handful spinach. Replace the lid and leave to stand for a few minutes until the spinach wilts. Serve with the rice and a swirl of yogurt.

ElasticNipples Mon 19-Sep-11 20:22:34

i made butternut squash and leek soup, it was delicious with white pepper.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now