Talk

Advanced search

Good winter salads to go with roast beef?

(8 Posts)
Stormwater Fri 16-Sep-11 12:49:16

i have a large beef sirloin which I roasted last night, intending to do roast spuds, yorkshire puds, etc but no-one was hungry. So I thought I might serve it tonight, cold or just warmed, with a couple of wintery salads (thinking maybe something with puy lentils for one?), does this sound good?

We have friends coming, so this would be good as I can give it to the children earlier without having to cook twice, and it would all be able to be made this afternoon so I don't need to stress over the cooking and getting children in bed timings clashing.

I can go out to get ingredients if not in the house. Go on, please hit me with your best ideas!

aquavit Fri 16-Sep-11 12:53:16

lentils sound delicious. I also love beef (very rare) with spinach, watercress and rocket salad with shaved parmesan (sorry, sounds naff but there you are) and a really punchy dressing of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, lots of mustard, and plenty of sugar and garlic.

shreddedandnotatallsmug Fri 16-Sep-11 12:53:48

mmmm, sounds yummy.

What about a warm potato salad and some (cold or room temp) roast veg - am thinking peppers, butternut squash?

My lunch salad today is baby spinach leaves, lentils, beetroot and crumbled goats cheese - would that work?

Stormwater Fri 16-Sep-11 13:08:33

Warm potato salad sounds good, maybe with eggs and capers?

Roast veg

I'd like a good lentil recipe, will go and google now.

Something with wasabi or horseradish in perhaps, although I could serve that separately...

shreddedandnotatallsmug Fri 16-Sep-11 13:22:42

I don't know if Pret sell a version of this salad in the UK, but 'tis v yummy, and something you could make at home.

Driftwood999 Sat 17-Sep-11 12:52:27

Let us know, what did you do?

Dumpyandabdabs Sat 17-Sep-11 18:35:56

My mum made me a salad with a difference the other day, it was pearl barley, soaked and then cooked. When cold you mix in dressing, roasted tomatoes and peppers, olives and a load of herbs and seasoning. Was really really tasty, and I think probably very versatile.

Stormwater Mon 19-Sep-11 21:26:53

Just remembered to come back to this - I did warm potato salad with lots of chopped hard boiled eggs, chives and capers, and this lentil salad with goats cheese. Was yummy!

That pearl barley recipe sounds good too, might give that a go - you don't know what the dressing was, do you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now