Talk

Advanced search

Chicken Legs.

(6 Posts)
BlueKangaroo22 Thu 15-Sep-11 16:13:12

Hi I think this is the right place for this!
I have bought 10 chicken legs (local butcher doing one day special 10 for £2.99) as I was assured they are freezable, so have bunged them in the freezer, just wanted to ask,

a) how long can they be in there for
b) when I have defrosted them, how long do they keep?

I know I sound really thick!

Also do they have to be grilled? Or can I oven cook (have always grilled in past but my grill is rubbish!)

Thanks guys!
smile

BlueKangaroo22 Thu 15-Sep-11 16:15:36

Any nice recipes (simple ones smile) would also be appreciated as all I can think is Sunday dinners or chicken and chips! smile

PortBlackSandWitchIsThere Thu 15-Sep-11 16:20:01

....No it's just the way i walk grin

i know i have had them in the freezer for longer than a month. Then got them out to cook so i don't know how long they last once out iyswim.

I love chicken legs in a casserole - i think the meat being on the bone gives it a lovely flavour.

BlueKangaroo22 Thu 15-Sep-11 16:31:32

I grin at that hehe, thanks

thehuntress Thu 15-Sep-11 16:53:43

Nigel Slater does a great lemon and black pepper chicken wing recipe in the Kitchen Diaries. My whole family loves it and it is so easy.

couldtryharder Thu 15-Sep-11 18:48:28

If you defrost them overnight (as I normally do) I'd use them that day. If they've already been frozen they won't last much more than a day after defrosting. I think that chicken legs are best done long and slow so that the meat is tender and falling off the bone, otherwise the effort to reward ration of getting the meat off the bone is not worth it. I do this with thighs which are much the same. Pull the skin off, marinate in lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, sliced onion and a pinch of saffron if you have it. Dump into a shallow oven dish with a glass of white wine or water, salt & pepper, cover with foil and cook at 170c for an hour and a half or more, just keep an eye on the liquid. You want it to help cook the chicken and provide a little juicy sauceiness, so you need it not to be a wash with it or bone dry. Serve with rice, or new pots and veg or take off the meat and mix meat, juices and all into some pasta.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now