Talk

Advanced search

This home made soup doesn't taste right....

(11 Posts)
mckenzie Thu 15-Sep-11 13:04:47

I was trying to be good and not bin the left over new potatoes and few carrots left in the veg drawer so I roasted them (oven was on for somehting else anyway) and added some red onion, garlic, olive oil and turmeric for a bit. Of flavour. I've now added some vegetable stock but it doesn't taste very nice at all. D I need to admit defeat or is there something I can add to it perhaps? It seems quite thick.

TIA

CointreauVersial Thu 15-Sep-11 13:07:15

More seasoning? Salt, pepper, herbs? Eat with lots of grated cheese on the top?

curlywurlycremeegg Thu 15-Sep-11 13:09:33

did any of the veg char a bit? I find that even the tiniest burnt bit can make food unpalatable.

GrimmaTheNome Thu 15-Sep-11 13:09:35

Maybe some other spices eg coriander (seed and leaf if you've got it)- tumeric is good for colour but not really the tastiest IMO

witchwithallthetrimmings Thu 15-Sep-11 13:10:41

what can you taste?
if it is just really bland that you could add chilli + curry powder and lemon juice just before seving
if is is too sweet, perhaps an apple would add a sour note to cut through the starch
if it tastes too caramelized then you might just have to give up

i would also add more water and liquidise/sieve it

mckenzie Thu 15-Sep-11 13:41:16

Thanks guys. Nothing burnt or charred when I was roast g it. I think, having tasted it again and again, that the potatoes was just too old and so not very nice. I've got some fresh coriander and seeds so I will try adding that and maybe add some more stock or water as suggested and serve it to the Dcs at tea time and see what they think!
Of what about scattering some crispy bacon on top? I have a slice of bacon in the fridge that will be in the bin by the end of the day if not eaten (smile)

startail Thu 15-Sep-11 13:48:34

There are some pretty awful spuds about.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 15-Sep-11 14:06:33

Is it the turmeric? It is really easy to add too much.

mckenzie Thu 15-Sep-11 14:21:41

I don't think so BadKitten - I'm usually quite light handed with spices etc. The soup even looks quite rank sad. I can see the DCs turning their noses up at it and it going straight in the bin! What a fliipin' waste of time and energy.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 15-Sep-11 18:52:48

sad what a bummer.

mckenzie Fri 16-Sep-11 11:41:44

it went down the drain - what a waste sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now