Talk

Advanced search

Non-tomato pasta bake ideas

(10 Posts)
AngelDog Thu 15-Sep-11 08:31:01

Any suggestions welcome please.

We had tuna pasta bake with white sauce yesterday.

The only dairy products I can eat are milk, single cream, cream cheese and Cheddar. (I'm intolerance to lactose so I'm restricted by the lactose free alternatives available.)

DS can't eat tomatoes, chillis or strong spices.

Jenn1982 Thu 15-Sep-11 12:04:05

Pesto can be used as a sauce if you mix it up maybe with cream cheese, or put a twist on it somehow. You can also use basil or coriander to make your own with pine nuts, olive oil and seasoning, (and whichever herb you choose).
Then you can put whatever meat or veg you would enjoy with it. Med veg go quite nicely with a basil pesto pasta, and chicken and lemon with coriander pesto.
I hope you get lots of ideas posted for you.

karmakameleon Thu 15-Sep-11 12:21:11

We do a pancetta, leek and cheesey pasta quite regularly. Fry chopped bacon or pancetta till crisp, add leeks and let them soften. Add a tablespoon of flour, cook it out and slowly add milk to create a white sauce to which to add pasta and lots of cheese. Sprinkly more cheese on top and bake until golden.

AngelDog Thu 15-Sep-11 13:13:50

Mmm, both sound yummy - thanks. smile

missmartha Thu 15-Sep-11 13:38:27

Sweat some vegetables, I often use fennel , onions, mushrooms and garlic until soft.
Add a table spoonful of ground almond stirring well.
Add a pot of single cream (well as much as suits you really)
Grate the zest from a lemon into the sauce and stir.

You can add more lemon if you want. Lemon and cream go together well.

You can add some cooked and sliced chicken breast if you like.

gastrognome Thu 15-Sep-11 16:23:03

Frozen chopped spinach cooked down with garlic, a spoon of pesto and a couple of tablespoons of cream cheese makes a lovely pasta sauce. We usually have it on tortellini but it works with any pasta. Takes about five minutes to cook.

Another nice one is a mix of chopped smoked salmon (cheap offcuts are fine! And a little goes a long way) and cubes fresh salmon with cream or cream cheese, spring onion, peas and dill, with farfalle pasta.

Both sauces are nice as is or in a bake topped with breadcrumbs.

belindarose Thu 15-Sep-11 16:32:46

Roast squash and bacon. We do it with feta, but I'm sure cream cheese would be yum.

inmysparetime Thu 15-Sep-11 16:33:48

Homous works well as a pasta bake sauce, and is easy to prepare.

Lizcat Thu 15-Sep-11 16:34:46

White sauce left over cooked chicken sliced leek with cheddar on the top.

AngelDog Thu 15-Sep-11 20:13:49

Thanks for all the suggestions.

We had cream & ground almonds with lemon & mushrooms/peppers tonight, but we still have loads of plain cooked pasta left so I'll try another version tomorrow.

Nom nom nom... smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now