Talk

Advanced search

Argh! DH has chopped & destoned the plums, which would be lovely if I wasn't making Jam.

(22 Posts)
KatyMac Thu 15-Sep-11 08:26:54

Can you make Plum jam without the stones?

LaurieFairyCake Thu 15-Sep-11 08:31:15

Why would you make it with the stones? confused

eh?

shesparkles Thu 15-Sep-11 08:31:18

Put the stones in as it's cooking, you'll still get the pectin, then take them out before you jar the jam

Flisspaps Thu 15-Sep-11 08:31:31

I don't see why not, don't you need to skim them off anyway (like damsons) when they're cooking? Sounds like he's saved you a job!

Dylthan Thu 15-Sep-11 08:33:31

I did at the weekend (dh also thought he was being helpful throwing away the stones) ii was also using the last of the rhubarb which is quite low in pectin so I didn't hold out much hope for it setting.

But it set lovely.

KatyMac Thu 15-Sep-11 08:43:39

The stones have pectin in to make the jam set, but I have been googling and plums might have enough without to set anyway

BelleEnd Thu 15-Sep-11 08:47:29

Sorry for the hijack, but can I make strawberry jam as I would any other? I seem to remember my grandmother saying that you couldn't use the usual recipe (1pt fruit/juice to 1lb sugar) with strawberries as it wouldn't set...

I had no idea about the stones, by the way, thank you for the tip!

OriginalPoster Thu 15-Sep-11 08:47:37

I always destone them! You mean I didn't have to...? I just stew them a little, liquidise them with hand blender, then boil up with jam sugar.

nagynolonger Thu 15-Sep-11 09:00:38

I have made plum jam without the stones and it did work. When I make strawberry jam I add a few gooseberries to up the pectin.

You could always use part or all jam making sugar.

HarlotOTara Thu 15-Sep-11 09:06:18

Well I always destone damsons when I make jam and it sets absolutely fine, I have 20lbs of the stuff so far.

You can buy pectin powder in waitrose btw - £1.39 for 6 sachets I think

Catsmamma Thu 15-Sep-11 09:09:50

I made plum jam sans stones and it set fine....and with normal granulated sugar. My jam would not dare not to set :D

BelleEnd.....let the berries sit in the sugar overnight....layer them together, I did that this year and it has been pronounced The Best Strawberry Jam EVER.

withLainintheWired Thu 15-Sep-11 09:29:35

I make mine without the stones, normal sugar too.

senua Thu 15-Sep-11 10:17:20

If it doesn't set then change course: add chopped onion, vinegar, chili, allspice, ginger and cinnamon to create a tangy sauce which is like a chinese hoi sin. Seal in jars, as per usual, or freeze.

KatyMac Thu 15-Sep-11 11:27:43

Are we agreed on a pound of sugar to a pound of plums? or are the proportions different

Just found out he has taken all my jars to the bottle bank

<sigh> I know he is helping, but.....

OriginalPoster Thu 15-Sep-11 15:30:46

Less sugar if they are super sweet like overripe Victorias.

OriginalPoster Thu 15-Sep-11 15:31:46

Lakeland sell jars but they are a rip off.

You could just freeze them and make jam when you've got enough jars again.

KatyMac Thu 15-Sep-11 15:52:31

How much less sugar? I have 7lbs of plums so 5 or 6lbs of sugar?

OriginalPoster Thu 15-Sep-11 16:17:23

Say 6. But you're over thinking this grin.boil them up test a liitle on a cold saucer when you think it's ready. It's an art, not a science...

KatyMac Thu 15-Sep-11 16:50:08

I don't really do Jam (at least not in the last 25 years or so since I was hulling the strawberries I picked for my mum to make into jam)

It's a bit of a first

AuntieMonica Thu 15-Sep-11 16:52:28

wrap the stones up in a clean muslin cloth and keep them all in the pan until setting point - he's really done you a favour!

KatyMac Thu 15-Sep-11 17:00:49

He threw them away sad

cardoon Sat 24-Sep-11 16:27:21

hahahaha, he really was being very helpfull grin

I think you'll be fine though - agree 6lb's sugar should be fine

I score round my plums and cook them down, allow to cool and use hands to remove stones before going on to make jam - works well and the bits of skin are not too big.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now