Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think the world does not need......

(23 Posts)
ChaosTrulyReigns Tue 13-Sep-11 15:37:53

granulated sugar?

It's more refined cousin Caster does everything it can do, but better.

So why is the sugar industry wasting a sucrillion pounds on this extraneous processing.

Well actually not more processing, but I'll bet my last pear drop that it's separate, ergo wasteful of the money type.

<<ponders>>

ChaosTrulyReigns Tue 13-Sep-11 15:38:22

Question mark.

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 13-Sep-11 16:05:44

Maybe precisely because it's not so refined and therefore cheaper to produce? I only buy caster sugar if I'm making a cake. The rest of the time a bog-standard pack of Tate and Lyle seems to keep us going for quite a long time.

megapixels Tue 13-Sep-11 17:23:31

Isn't it castor sugar that has the extra process? You grind granulated sugar to make castor sugar?

allhailtheaubergine Tue 13-Sep-11 17:28:08

I think castor sugar is a bit of a British thing isn;t it? Most places I've been you bake with granulated (or just "sugar" as we call it) and no one makes crunchy cakes.

LynetteScavo Tue 13-Sep-11 17:52:43

I always presumed when making sugar they took out the granulated sugar first, then brummed up the rest to make caster sugar.

So I would have thought granulated sugar needs less processing,(it's cheeper, isn't it?).

But I agree caster sugar is way better than granulated sugar.

ChaosTrulyReigns Tue 13-Sep-11 20:17:00

<<sigh>>

Yes

But

If there's 2 processes, that's got to be more coastly than one, non?

So just make one suagr and get rid of the superfluous one.

And that'd save printing 2 types of packaging.

See?

[sensnibble]

LynetteScavo Tue 13-Sep-11 21:35:39

Does it bother you that there is crunchy and smooth peanut butter? After all, we only need smooth.

ChaosTrulyReigns Tue 13-Sep-11 21:43:37

Yus.

ChaosTrulyReigns Tue 13-Sep-11 21:43:56

Grapes perplex me too.

allday Tue 13-Sep-11 21:46:25

possibly castor sugar is a by-product of the granulated sugar industry

<ponders>

It would sort of fall down to the bottom of the granulation machine and through a tiny sieve into the castor sugar bagging area. Possibly.

wicketkeeper Wed 14-Sep-11 21:05:27

Both are completely pointless. No nutritional benefit whatsoever. Don't waste your time or energy thinking about them.

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 15-Sep-11 08:27:22

They do have a nutritional benefit i.e. 'energy' calories. There isn't much going on in the vitamin and mineral department, admittedly, but it would be incorrect to say they offer zero nutritional value

Grapes perplex you?

senua Thu 15-Sep-11 08:36:37

YABU. Where would lemon drizzle cake be without granulated sugar!?

DoubleNegativePanda Thu 15-Sep-11 08:59:49

In the US, caster sugar is called "superfine" or "baker's sugar" and it's a lot more expensive than granulated. I've only ever bought it once and I really couldn't tell the difference. My cakes and pastries have never been crunchy.

So perhaps it's the caster sugar that should be done away with, especially considering it's more processed? I bet your cost would go down wink

TrillianAstra Thu 15-Sep-11 09:49:29

I only ever buy granulated.

Well, granulated, and icing, and demerera, and muscovado... but I don't bother with caster.

Lizcat Thu 15-Sep-11 16:37:15

If your beginning to worry about that make sure you buy Silver Spoon which is produced from sugar beet in the UK and therefore has many less food miles than Tate and Lyle cane sugar.

Seona1973 Sat 17-Sep-11 09:40:26

we always buy granulated. Only buy caster if a recipy specifies it.

wicketkeeper Sun 18-Sep-11 11:53:03

No - there is no nutritional benefit. You can get all the energy you need from things that are far better for you. And it is the excess 'energy' that people eat that is converted to fat. Have sugar by all means, it tastes nice - but don't be under any illusions as to the nutritional value, or the damage it can do.

The problem with the 'sugar gives you energy' argument is that people think it gives you energy. It doesn't. All it does is provide you with fuel if you are being energetic. It won't make you feel like being energetic. If you eat the sugar and then do bugger all, it'll simply be converted into fat.

CauldronsTrulyReign Sun 18-Sep-11 12:02:41

grin

virgiltracey Sun 18-Sep-11 12:05:40

I do all my baking with granulated and its fine. I agree that its the castor sugar that it the waste of time (and money!)

virgiltracey Sun 18-Sep-11 12:06:40

Plus, the lemon drizzle point is an excellent one. lemon drizzle cake is no good without granulated sugar and the world is no good without lemon drizzle cake according to my DCs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now