Talk

Advanced search

What is the dish that made you realise you loved cooking?

(10 Posts)
KittyWalker Tue 13-Sep-11 15:20:58

Just watching Australian Masterchef and they are having to cook the dish that changed their life - I love cooking but I wouldn't have a clue what to cook!

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 13-Sep-11 16:01:00

Originally apple pie. My mother's a rotten cook but posessive about her kitchen. I finally got her to agree to let me make an apple pie. I put heart, body and soul into making it the best pie possible, knowing it was the only decent thing I'd get to eat all week - and it really was. Have loved cooking ever since.

Hassled Tue 13-Sep-11 16:03:46

I think I'd say Bolognese sauce/ragu. I have tweaked it over the years and now I don't think I could improve it - it is the pinnacle of my culinary capabilities, and it's damn good.

LorenSorensen Tue 13-Sep-11 18:24:22

A Lemon Drizzle cake. I fell in love with baking, the sheer magic of raw cake mix turning into scented sponge in 30 minutes is hard to beat.

fuckityfuckfuckfuck Tue 13-Sep-11 18:28:12

this chicken pie. Never even attempted anything like it before this one and it is unbelievably tasty. I know I can bake, but with this one I became more confident that I could cook too.

KittyWalker Tue 13-Sep-11 18:40:43

Oooh Fuckity that sounds lovely!

fuckityfuckfuckfuck Tue 13-Sep-11 18:46:24

It is seriously yum. But I make one big pie, substitute the spring onions for a large regular one as it's cheaper, and leave out the tarragon as I hate it. Give it a good grinding of black pepper, put 250g of puff pastry on top and it's done. It really is such a yummy dish, and from the recipe tbh I didn't expect it to be all that great. Even my super fussy 3 year old gobbles it up

KittyWalker Tue 13-Sep-11 19:00:57

Might just do that for dinner tomorrow!

ravenc Tue 13-Sep-11 19:03:10

homemade tomato soup

storminabuttercup Tue 13-Sep-11 20:04:37

Ive always knew I enjoyed cooking, but my first risotto made me realise how much I bloody love it, there's something so good about the stirring!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now