Advanced search

I was under the impression that food items with 10g of sugar per 100g was best for children

(9 Posts)
TheOriginalFAB Tue 13-Sep-11 13:44:59

Is this actually the case?

I ask as I spent a long time in the supermarket looking for things for their packed lunches and on the biscuit/cereal bar/fruit bar section I couldn't find anything less than 18g of sugar per 100g and one cereal bar which is packed as a chose life healthy type thing was 58g of sugar per 100g.

I usually bake but it is handy to have things in the cupboard sometimes but I am not buying things with 30g+ of sugar per 100g. I know children need some sigar but surely not that much?

When I bake I put half the amount of sugar in sometimes and the children never notice.

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 13-Sep-11 16:08:12

'There are no bad foods, only bad diets'. In an individual product, 20% sugar makes it quite a high-sugar food but, if that's the only sugary food they get all day, it's got to be kept in context. Ditto with a 58% sugar cereal bar. They're not meant to be everyday staples.... treats only.

FagButt Tue 13-Sep-11 16:11:57

i thought 5 percent per 100g was best.

I never look tbh

if they eat what i serve, i am grateful grin

GrimmaTheNome Tue 13-Sep-11 16:16:07

Depends also whether most of that sugar comes from fruit - how much sugar per 100g does a banana or raisins have?

TheOriginalFAB Tue 13-Sep-11 16:18:44

They have a very good diet with fruit and veg every day and I don't buy cakes or biscuits but make my own so they get some treat things. The 58g bars were being suggested as every day items.

usingapseudonym Tue 13-Sep-11 17:07:24

Although presumably fruit is a high percentage sugar as would home made baked goods be?

TheOriginalFAB Tue 13-Sep-11 17:17:50

But it is a natural sugar and as mine don't have sweets or fizzy drinks I think it is okay.

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 14-Sep-11 09:15:33

In the context of a well-balanced and varied diet, 58g (2oz) of added/refined sugar per day would not be excessive. The natural sugar in fruit is better for us but, even there, it pays not to go overboard.

TheOriginalFAB Wed 14-Sep-11 11:49:51

Thank you for that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now