Talk

Advanced search

Cakes/biscuits for a celiac?

(11 Posts)
Geordieminx Tue 13-Sep-11 10:32:21

don't think thats the right spelling...

I make cakes for office once a week, traybake/cupcakes/biscuits. Does anyone have any recipes for the clueless?

Thanks

MoaningMcMyrtlepants Tue 13-Sep-11 10:48:12

I have This book and find it really good for cakes and biscuits.

DottyDot Tue 13-Sep-11 10:49:34

Hi there - you can get Doves gluten-free self raising and plain flour from big supermarkets or health food shops and then just bake as usual smile

munstersmum Tue 13-Sep-11 10:55:43

My friend makes this & it is soooooo delicious
http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/2758/spanish-orange-and-almond-cake.aspx

Geordieminx Tue 13-Sep-11 20:43:50

Bump

DottyDot Thu 15-Sep-11 13:07:16

Just to say lemon drizzle cake with Doves Farm self raising flour works really well - gluten free cakes/biscuits can get crumbly and dry, so adding the lemon makes it all moist - yum grin I made one last week and took it in to work - no complaints from the team!

pinkytheshrinky Thu 15-Sep-11 13:09:45

You can make any fairy cakes with gluten free sr flour - i find adding a bit of extra vanilla or whatever flavouring is nicer and ime they do not last so well so need eating very quickly

Quintessentialist Thu 15-Sep-11 13:11:58

If you go to the nigella website, and try her cookie recipes, I find that modifying with gf flour works really well. I have used corn and rice flower mixes in the past with great result. The same works well for Victoria sponges. They dont taste exactly like a normal victoria sponge, but near enogh. With cream and jam layers, the difference is hardly noticable.

CMOTdibbler Thu 15-Sep-11 13:12:30

I just substitute Doves Farm gf flour into any recipe, and add a teaspoon of glycerine to ensure a nice moist cake

Em3978 Thu 15-Sep-11 13:13:27

I'm gluten free and bake once a week for a coffee afternoon, i use doves farm SR flour (or plain flour with GF baking powder) to bake 'normal' recipes and noone notices the difference ;)

(well apart from the fact that I scoff them too!!)

DottyDot Thu 15-Sep-11 13:13:40

Yes they definitely need eating pronto - cakes will just about last until the next day but not much longer than that - still, any excuse for polishing them off, eh? grin

Vanilla essence is a good tip and/or some milk if you think the cake mixture's a bit dry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now