Talk

Advanced search

Restarting solids after vomiting bug

(11 Posts)
sassie23 Tue 13-Sep-11 09:25:47

Any ideas how I should feed my 10 month old after quite harsh vomiting bug he's only had Oral rehydration fluids yesterday started with a little baby rice this am which he kept down but when I gave him his bottle before bed last night he threw if up how do I proceed today he's starving poor soul thanks

substantiallycompromised Tue 13-Sep-11 09:45:42

Sorry your lo has been ill. Hope they feel better soon. I can't remember what to do with dc this young - but have found this link

here

With adults you have to keep going with the rehydration and then just introduce tiny amounts of rice/crackers etc and I think the link above describes the same sort of technique. (A few sips of rehydration fluid every 15 mins can be a good technique with dc - it's surprising how much they can get down that way without testing their stomach too much)

I think all milk/formula can be quite hard on the digestion so only introduce in tiny amounts once rehydration fluids + tiny amounts of bland food are kept down.

Good luck!

substantiallycompromised Tue 13-Sep-11 09:46:58

trying link again

here

See page 2 for advice on infants over 2 months

substantiallycompromised Tue 13-Sep-11 09:48:27

PS One thing I do remember being told by my doctor: I think they can go for quite a time without food - so don't worry about that. Getting liquid down them is the important thing because dehydration in a young 10 month year old can be quite serious. So best to focus on that!

substantiallycompromised Tue 13-Sep-11 09:49:11

oh dear

meant to type "see pay 2 for infants over 6 months"

TheNationalTruss Tue 13-Sep-11 09:56:02

Don't worry too much about solids, fluids are what's important. Just offer something he ordinarily likes.

Dairy irritates a poorly stomach so if you're giving formula, this could be upsetting his gut lining. You need to avoid dairy ideally but otherwise the advice is to give whatever food he seems to want. There's no difference in recovery between those given plain/bland foods and those given an ordinary diet. It's really only dairy you need to avoid.

Remember as quickly as they go downhill, they tend to perk up again too. Hope he's fully recovered soon.

sassie23 Tue 13-Sep-11 10:20:26

Thanks for that yes I'll continue fluids and little bits of bland things over the rest if the day he's sleeping after the rice so hopefully the rest will help him too smile thanks so much

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 13-Sep-11 11:40:50

Americans refer to a 'BRAT' diet after illness. Bananas, rice, applesauce (stewed apple) and toast. They are good choices because they are easily digested & fairly nutritious but not fatty or rich enough to feed the bug and cause more upset. Agree that it's best to avoid dairy products and offer plenty of fluids.

Seona1973 Tue 13-Sep-11 12:24:58

up to date uk advice is to feed if they are hungry and to continue with normal milk feeds. The nhs website says nothing about avoiding dairy either.

treating gastroenteritis

sassie23 Tue 13-Sep-11 12:52:08

This is why it's so confusing I'm following the BRAT diet today seems to be going well he's sleeping a lot which is good and taking 4-5 ozs fluid when wakes up. I read about NHS advice about milk feeds which is why I gave it to him last night but it upset him so think we'll avoid it for another day

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 13-Sep-11 13:08:40

Sounds like you're doing exactly the right thing by judging as you go along whether to continue or to leave it for another day. I don't think there's ever a one-size-fits-all answer. Hope he feels better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now