Talk

Advanced search

Bread rolls recipe?

(4 Posts)
storminabuttercup Mon 12-Sep-11 22:54:28

Does anyone use a fool proof recipe for making bread rolls by hand? I have a tub of dried active yeast, some bread flour and no idea what to do with it...any help much appreciated!

4merlyknownasSHD Tue 13-Sep-11 09:48:15

I use a half sponge method.
700gms bread flour, 450ml water, 1 dsp yeast, 1.5 tsp salt, 1 dsp maple syrup, 1 dsp olive oil.

Mix yeast, half the flour and all the water (2 parts cold :1 part boiling) and leave covered with cliing film overnight.

Following day, mix in the rest of the ingredients and knead for 5 minutes, rest for 10 minutes, and then repeat x 2 more times. Let it prove until doubled in size.

Knock back and then divide into 15 equally sized pieces. I roll each into a ball, flatten, roll up and then place in a floured roasting dish with a 2" gap between each roll. Let them double in size before slashing the top and putting in a V.hot pre-heated oven (Gas 9). Turn down to Gas 6 after 5 minutes and leave for another 7 - 8 minutes before taking out of the oven and turning it off.

Then I tip them out onto a baking sheet and pop them back in to the oven upside down for a couple of minutes while the oven cools down a little. This just crispens up the bottom of the roll.

Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.

storminabuttercup Tue 13-Sep-11 10:43:11

That sounds good, my only issue is (forgive me I am clueless) but the yeast tub says to put it in warm water and sugar, will it still work this way confused

4merlyknownasSHD Tue 13-Sep-11 12:24:45

If you are doing the half sponge method, the water will be warm AND it will have time to start developing as you leave it overnight (or for 6 - 8 hours during the day). The addition of sugar (maple syrup) when you add the second lot of flour will give it a nudge at that stage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now