Talk

Advanced search

how do you cook more than one cake at the same time?!

(12 Posts)
muslimah28 Mon 12-Sep-11 10:11:57

hi

this may be a silly question but a friend of mine the other day said she cooked 4 cakes for a party at the same time. i was wondering, how is this possible?! because how do you get round the issue of putting the cake in the oven as soon as possible to get the best rise? and if you do put them in teh oven straight away, don't you have to open the oven during the first one's baking, which ive always heard is a no no.

she's not someone i know well so the obvious answer of just asking her is not really doable....

the other obvious answer that maybe i took her too literally is of course perfectly possible...blush

thanks grin

Mollymax Mon 12-Sep-11 10:14:39

Maybe she made a huge batch of mix, put it into the four tins and whacked them in the oven at the same time.

Catsmamma Mon 12-Sep-11 10:16:16

double oven?

Imnotaslimjim Mon 12-Sep-11 10:16:34

As long as you're quick getting the next one in, opening the oven isn't an issue. I have a double oven though, so can do 3 in each. You do have to rotate them halfway through to get an even bake though

But she could well have baked them one after the other rather than all at the same time

muslimah28 Mon 12-Sep-11 10:56:25

i have a double oven, but the top smaller one with the grill in it doesn't seem to bake as well. is that just my oven? someone told me with double ovens, its only the big one that's fan assisted and the smaller one isn't so never bakes as well...

thisisyesterday Mon 12-Sep-11 10:59:30

well you surely just put them all in the oven at the same time??

i can just fit 2 round 8inch tins on one shelf in my oven. so i would be able to do 4 at once without using my top oven

thisisyesterday Mon 12-Sep-11 11:00:39

afaia fan assisted ovens don't particularly bake any better tbh. my mum and MIL both make fantastic cakes, one in a gas oven and one in a rayburn

mine is fan assisted and i can't tell any difference particularly!

muslimah28 Mon 12-Sep-11 11:32:15

thisisyesterday sorry what i mean is making more than different cake, so the mixture is different, so there's a time lag between making the two mixtures, hope that makes sense now! maybe i'll try my top oven again. today i need to make cakes for two different dos tomorrow and it would be easier to not have to wait for the first one to come out of the oven.

imnotaslimjim so it is ok to open the oven halfway then? im only just getting into baking since borrowing my sisters hummingbird book so am getting used to the finer points of the art smile

thisisyesterday Mon 12-Sep-11 14:29:25

oh i see what you mean! sorry.

i would just make up one mixture and get it in the tin, then make the other one and get it in its tin and then bung both in the oven

AngelDog Fri 16-Sep-11 20:38:24

Me too - if I'm distracted or doing something else the tin with mixture in might hang around the kitchen for a while before it goes in the oven.

I don't think fan assisted ovens bake any better, but it is easier to cook multiple cakes in them as you don't have to bother about the ones near the bottom cooking slower than the ones at the top.

OriginalPoster Fri 16-Sep-11 20:42:26

Fairy cakes?

And she ate the other 8 and didn't want to 'fess up

grin

hollyw Sun 18-Sep-11 23:13:05

You can open the door on a rayburn and it doesn't make cakes sink. not sure if you could fit four cakes in one mind you. I often cook two loaf tin style cakes on one shelf so I guess it might be a possibility

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now