Talk

Advanced search

Argh. Mistake with bread machine. Any advice?

(8 Posts)
senua Sun 11-Sep-11 22:28:15

Just loaded up the breadmachine for the morning but have noticed that I used ordinary plain flour instead of bread flour (that's a whole other rant at Asda for making the packaging too similar. grr).

How will the loaf turn out? Is there anything I can do, before I switch the machine on, to make things better? Or should I abort and start again with the proper flour?

timetosmile Sun 11-Sep-11 22:30:40

I think it just won't rise as much? Give it a go - you could always toast lumps of it!

TheArmadillo Sun 11-Sep-11 22:30:43

I'd make it just to see what happened - it'd be interesting to find out.

Strong bread flour is supposed to have more gluten in I think so it'll definately be crumblier.

ChessPiece Sun 11-Sep-11 22:32:39

I nearly did this the other day but scooped out most of it and replaced it with strong flour. Please post back and let us know how it turned out!

senua Sun 11-Sep-11 22:40:12

Hmm. I wonder if DH will find it 'interesting' tomorrow morning when can't make his sandwiches. However, you ladies have made me decide to carry on with the mistake experiment so we'll see how it goes. After all, it won't be the first time that I have messed up and DH has missed out on his morning loaf.blush

senua Mon 12-Sep-11 08:15:13

Ooops. Didn't really work. We knew it wouldn't.grin

The crumb isn't too bad but the crust is far too hard and the whole thing didn't rise enough. It was all a bit brick-ish, like it is when I forget the yeast. Next time I think the answer might be add more yeast or (best option!) start all over again.
Never mind, I had some emergency supplies in the freezer.

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 12-Sep-11 10:29:44

The strong (or better still extra strong) flour is really the only option for bread. Things come out a bit 'scone-y' otherwise. Still, however brick-like the results, I bet it was still more edible than the thing I produced the day I forgot to put the yeast in all together..... ewww......

TheArmadillo Mon 12-Sep-11 21:32:26

thanks for experimenting and telling us the results grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now