Talk

Advanced search

Autumn Recipes -what's your favourite?

(45 Posts)
CeliaFate Sun 11-Sep-11 18:06:29

I made Nigella's Pork Chops with mustard, cider and cream this week. It was delish, with mash and peas.
What's your favourite Autumn recipe?

SpamMarie Sun 11-Sep-11 18:07:07

Apple and blackberry crumble, all fron fruit grown in my garden!

Collision Sun 11-Sep-11 18:08:38

sausage and bean casserole with mash or polenta

CeliaFate Sun 11-Sep-11 18:11:16

Mmm, sausage casserole sounds scrumptious! Will try that this week.

Cheaptrick Sun 11-Sep-11 18:13:19

Beef stew for DH and DC and veg stew for me smile

Veggy chilli with jacket potatos.

JarethTheGoblinKing Sun 11-Sep-11 18:15:42

Beef and ale stew with loads of veg and dumplings.

NOM.

FancyALittle Sun 11-Sep-11 18:17:46

Lamb, leek and apricot stew. Sweet and tasty!

scaryteacher Sun 11-Sep-11 18:19:27

Celia - ditch the cream and stir in creme fraiche. Cook gnocchi and then toss in the sauce and I wilt a bag of spinach in the gnocchi and sauce, before putting the pork back in. I can't get chops, so use the nearest Belgian equivalent. Lush.

lowra Sun 11-Sep-11 18:24:35

Spam I made a blackberry and apple crumble today too. From fruit grown in my grandad's garden.

FreeButtonBee Sun 11-Sep-11 18:26:18

Sausage chorizo and lentil casserole - this is my dh favourite meal ever.

Beef and guinness stew.

Crumble is very very hard to beat.

stripeybump Sun 11-Sep-11 18:31:15

Chorizo, leek and tomato risotto <mmm>

Fry up leeks and garlic, then chunks of chorizo. Chuck in risotto rice and white wine. Evaporate wine. Chuck in tinned toms (and sundried tomato paste if you have it) and chicken stock. Simmer for 30 mins. Stir in grated Parmesan once almost done and a soupçon of salt and grindy pepper.

TigerseyeMum Sun 11-Sep-11 18:34:49

Roast butternut squash stew - with chili and red lentils and a few veg, bit of grated ginger. Easy peasy, and lush. Very warming.

Jacket potatoes done properly in the oven.

Beef stew with potatoes and carrots.

Veggie chilli with nachos.

Macaroni cheese.

stripeybump Sun 11-Sep-11 18:38:39

Ooh macaroni cheese smile

I recommend Lorraine Pascale's 'Glam Mac and Cheese' - on iPhone so a faff to link, but it basically involves frying pancetta and spring onions and putting it in with the cheesy sauce, and use Dolcelatte and Parmesan instead of cheddar. And add nutmeg. Mmmm.

Autumn food, like autumn clothes are so much nicer than the summer equivalents!

stripeybump Sun 11-Sep-11 18:39:34

Tigerseye can you sum up your butternut stew recipe pls? Sounds yum smile

FreeButtonBee Sun 11-Sep-11 18:44:03

Another vote for the BN squash stew, please tiger

nodrog Sun 11-Sep-11 18:44:53

Lamb hotpot. or as we call it in the house Betty's hotpot.

TigerseyeMum Sun 11-Sep-11 18:44:58

OK. Roughly:

Cube a butternut squash, roast in olive oil.
Meanwhile, fry onion, garlic with a bit of dried chilli flakes and a cube of grated ginger in some oil in a big pan. Cumin seeds can also be a nice addition if you like them.
Stir in the dried red lentils and heat through a bit.
Add the roasted squash, stir round, add 1-2 pints of weak bouillon (such as Marigold) and simmer for 30 mins or so.

Sometimes I also put a tin of chopped tomatoes in as well.

Sweet Potato variation:

As above but with sweet potato instead of squash, and coconut milk instead of tinned tomatoes/stock. It is equally lush.

I imagine both could be done in a slow cooker.

<<feels hungry>>

NormaStanleyFletcher Sun 11-Sep-11 18:52:18

<<watches thred>>

brianmayshair Sun 11-Sep-11 18:57:46

*Tigers that sounds yum,thanks,going to try it. Have just been pondering veggie dinners i could make this week whilst i so the online shop.

osd Sun 11-Sep-11 19:05:37

Stuffed pumpkin with a beef and pork mince filling, some lovely all spice, carrots, onions, celery and potatoes all mixed and encased in a lovely roast pumpkin.

Jenssens tempataion, dauphinoise potatoes, sticky ribs, toad in the hole, pinwheels, homemade soup, a nice curry. Oh on and on hello Autumn.

JarethTheGoblinKing Sun 11-Sep-11 20:40:34

Sausage chorizo and lentil casserole - this is my dh favourite meal ever.

Sounds brilliant, recipe please? grin

DoingTheBestICan Sun 11-Sep-11 20:44:59

Morroccan Lamb with Cous Cous,make it the day before & it is even better the following day.

Some lovely recipes here,i might definitly make them.

bluebump Sun 11-Sep-11 20:48:25

Ooh that sounds delicious TigerseyeMum i'm going to try that.

For me it's soups. I have the Covent Garden soup book so work my way through that with whatever the seasonal veg is.

FreeButtonBee Mon 12-Sep-11 15:20:07

It's loosely based on [[http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/feb/18/sausage-chorizo-lentil-casserole this recipe]. I don't use carrot and sometimes use red wine or port with water instead of stock to make it a bit richer. Also nice is some chopped up peppers added near the end and some chopped parsley sprinkled at the end. I start it on the hob and finish it in the oven as it means that the sausage and chorizo get a little bit crispy on top, which is the best bit! Particularly nice if you use cooking chorizo, rather than the salami style ones.

GirlWithALlamaTattoo Mon 12-Sep-11 15:31:08

Levi Roots' Pepperpot Stew (omitting the meat - we're veggie and it's nice enough without.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now