Talk

Advanced search

How long to cook a turkey breast joint?

(3 Posts)
HauntedLittleLunatic Sat 10-Sep-11 12:53:24

Have looked online and found loads of sites giving guidance for a whole turkey in the format of 'if it weighs 8lb cook it for so long'

Is it 20min/lb +20min over for turkey?

My joint is only just over 1kg.

Do I cover with foil?

<nerveous via I have never cooked a roast before so any hints would.be welcome.>

cadifflur Sat 10-Sep-11 18:30:09

Hi,
my good housekeeping recipe book gives cooking times per weight of bird, so for 1.4-2.3kg range (sorry, that's the lightest) it says 1.5-2 hrs cooking time.

"Season, then smear with butter or oil. Put the turkey straight into a deep roasting tin and cover loosely with a "tent" of foil. Roast in a pre-heated oven at 190/375f/gas mark 5, basting frequently to keep the bird moist. Fold back the foil 45 mins before the end of the cooking time to brown and crisp the breast."

The important thing, is as with chicken, make sure the juices run clear to know it's ready. HTH.

HauntedLittleLunatic Sat 10-Sep-11 18:53:51

Ty...have actually just loaded dishwasher after a lovely meal. Eventually found some online guides after deep searching which calculated anything from just over an hour to 90mins so went with the latter. Was perhaps very slightly overdone.

And yes I did check juices

Ty smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now