Talk

Advanced search

Sloe gin?

(6 Posts)
glitterkitty Fri 09-Sep-11 11:24:26

Just picked a kilo of sloes, have washed and frozen them. I'm hoping to get another kilo at weekend. This is my first time making sloe gin, anyone else done it before? Tips would be great!

mogs0 Fri 09-Sep-11 16:29:43

I can never find any sloes but made blackberry gin last year and have just made damson gin for this Christmas. I also made mars bar vodka last year but I think I should have added more mars bars as the colour was a bit odd - I thought it was going to look like chocolate milkshake but it looked like muddy water blush.

Scootergrrrl Fri 09-Sep-11 16:31:00

Put them in the freezer first or prick them with a pin and don't forget the sugar!

sdotg Fri 09-Sep-11 16:32:35

Mmm sloe gin, lucky you
I use this site and haven't messed it up, yet...
http://www.cottagesmallholder.com/two-recipes-wild-damson-gin-and-sloe-gin-37
Enjoy

LaurieFairyCake Fri 09-Sep-11 16:33:09

You don't need tips, it may be the easiest thing I make. You just have to remember to tip the bottle over a couple of times a week (I use giant pop bottles for it while it's fermenting).

I do have one tip......don't drink the fucker like it's wine - I had a giant hangover last year on it blush

glitterkitty Fri 09-Sep-11 17:39:48

Glad to hear freezing means I wont have to prick them all, thanks scootergrrrl!

I'm also making elderberry wine (think that takes about a year) and whitecurrant schnapps -which must be nearly ready now! That website is v good, sdotg, going to have a read.

Will get my bottles from Ikea next week- cheap! hopefully the gin will be ready by xmas...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now