Talk

Advanced search

Tub of fromage frais anyone?

(8 Posts)
anonymousbird Thu 08-Sep-11 19:43:13

I bought it recently for a dessert recipe I never needed to make in the end.

We aren't really dessert people, is there anything else I can do savoury with fromage frais?

Does it mix, for example, into soup in lieu of something like creme fraiche?

TIA

Xiaoxiong Fri 09-Sep-11 11:51:38

I'd substitute it into any recipe that calls for ricotta and see what happens.

Maybe something like this?

EPPP Fri 09-Sep-11 14:21:05

Ooooo where did you get it from? I recently needed fromage frais for a wierd souffle recipe and had to use creme fraiche.

The souffle was just mix egg yolks and grated cheese into the from frais and then fold in the egg whites. With the creme fraiche it was oddly tangy.

frenchfancy Fri 09-Sep-11 16:51:47

We go through about a tub a week in our house. Use it instead of soured cream on top of chilli, mix it into soups, add it to pasta with pesto to make it more creamy, put it on top of enchilladas etc etc

anonymousbird Fri 09-Sep-11 19:06:12

I got it from Waitrose I think? Sure i've seen it in Tesco too. It's in a strange place, not where you would expect it to be as I had to search for it in Waitrose!

Frenchfancy - very interested - I used it in something last night in the end and as I stirred it into a sauce, like I might creme fraiche to thicken and soften out, it kind of curdled and went all lumpy. How do you stop that happening? It was very tasty, no problems there, but the texture once cooked was not so pleasant!

kittencuddles Fri 09-Sep-11 19:53:34

I use fromage frais as a topping for lasagne instead of white sauce. Really tasty and not as rich as white sauce. x

frenchfancy Sun 11-Sep-11 17:20:21

Don't cook it. Take stew ( or whetever) off the heat then stir in the fromage frais. It does split on heating but it doesn't affect the flavour.

tb Sat 01-Oct-11 14:14:29

Makes a lovely dip mixed with some very garlicky mayonnaise and a 1/4-1/2tsp dried lovage. Could probably use celery salt as a substitute.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now