Talk

Advanced search

Yummy, wintery, fruity snack ideas wanted!

(8 Posts)
Jezabelle Thu 08-Sep-11 16:23:30

I like giving DDs (5 and 2) a snack when DD1 gets in from school. In the summer months we did lots of homemade fruit ice lollies and smoothies, (just milk, banana, berries etc). They saw these as a treat but I knew they were getting part of their 5 a day!

Just made a smoothie and realised that it's less appealling now it's getting colder. I would like an alternative to the hot chocolate and biscuit request that is so tempting in winter, (not that I mind them having that from time to time, just want other options too!)

FauxFox Thu 08-Sep-11 17:32:38

Mini fruit crumbles in ramekins?
Flapjacks with grated apple and dried fruit in?
Warm stewed fruit with a little custard or ice cream?
Baked bananas in skins with a little honey and yoghurt?

LetThereBeRock Thu 08-Sep-11 18:19:58

I have this for breakfast,but it works well as a snack or as a pudding. I can't remember which book it's from.

Cut a peach in half,and add some berries,raspberries,blackberries or strawberries,if using strawberries I usually slice them,and soak the fruit in a little orange juice and honey for a minute,then spoon the fruit over the peach halves,and pour over the juice,place in a baking dish for 8 minutes at 180,and serve with Greek yoghurt.

The fruit cools quickly,so can be eaten almost at once.

Lancelottie Thu 08-Sep-11 18:21:23

DS2 likes beans on toast <<lowers parenting tone>>

LetThereBeRock Thu 08-Sep-11 18:36:20

That should be soak the berries,not the peaches too sorry.

Jezabelle Thu 08-Sep-11 20:54:20

Flap jacks is a great idea, I'll google for a good recipe. I quite fancy stewed fruit too, I have apples and pears in the garden at the mo. I'll try your recipe Letthereberock when I find peaches on offer! Nothing wrong with beans on toast Lancelottie, but more of a meal than a snack in my book!

Keep 'em coming!

Lancelottie Fri 09-Sep-11 13:19:32

Yes, should perhaps have said that DS is 13, has size 9 feet, ribs like a xylophone and eats for Britain. I think he may be about to grow.

Smash09 Sat 10-Sep-11 13:34:05

I like a mix of fresh and dried fruit simmered in some dilute apple juice and cinnamon! Pears, peaches, figs, prunes, apples and blackberries all work well.
Top with greek yoghurt - nice breakfast too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now