Talk

Advanced search

Storecupboard essentials list

(6 Posts)
badkitty Wed 07-Sep-11 14:21:39

We are moving house next week and I have been running down all the cupboards, freezer etc in anticipation so we don't take too much old stuff. I want to get a big supermarket shop delivered the day after we move in to stock up new kitchen. Does anyone have or have a link to a good list of storecupboard essentials to get in - ideally which would enable me to make a few basic meals/ snacks for me, dh and a toddler from the cupboard? I know this sounds a bit clueless but with a toddler and 7 wk old my brain is a bit frazzled! And I would like to be a bit more organised as at the moment me or dh seem to have to pop to the shops often twice a day for some random thing we are missing and it is annoying.

mumcanIaskaquestion Wed 07-Sep-11 15:24:20

I keep

Rice
Pasta
Tins - tomatoes (whole, chopped and puree)
beans
spag
soups
Fruit/custurd

basic herbs and spices (which you like)
Oils - Olive/Veg

Then some Chicken/mince/sausages and veg in the freezer then I can make a meal any day.

I also keep a stock of chinese bits.

couldtryharder Wed 07-Sep-11 16:17:46

As above but I also have stock cubes, lentils (can buy these tinned and cooked as it's much easier), stuff like tinned chick peas too. Couscous, pesto, vinegars and mustards. Chorizo doesn't have to be in the fridge until you've cut into it and always makes food taste good. Eggs, can make lots of things with eggs. Flour, tinned anchovies, olives capers. Noddle type things as well as pasta. Sweet chilli sauce too. Good luck with the move.

tigercametotea Wed 07-Sep-11 16:18:21

Tinned fish
Tinned meat
Tinned tomatoes (chopped or plum) and/OR passata
Tinned sweetcorn
Tinned mushrooms
Tinned peas
Extra virgin olive oil
Tomatoes
Bananas
Easy peelers/Clementine oranges
Onions
Carrots
Tomatoes
Peppers
Celery
Condensed mushroom soup (great as a sauce for pasta dishes)
Pasta shapes/spaghetti/couscous/egg noodles
Rice
Curry paste/herbs/powdered stock/stock cubes/soy sauce/other condiments

btw you said "from the cupboard" so I am assuming you won't want anything that needs to be kept in the fridge/freezer??

badkitty Wed 07-Sep-11 19:24:24

Thank you! That gives me some structure for my online shop - I always find online shopping quite hard as can't actually see the stuff! I meant 'from the cupboard' loosely so fridge/ freezer items are included!!

TheArmadillo Wed 07-Sep-11 19:43:28

*oil (what kind is up to you - I like a light olive oil and a sunflower one)

*some kind of tinned protein (whether baked beans/plain beans or chickpeas/fish or at a push corned beef)

*lentils as very versitile

*some kind of long keeping carb (2 types is best for variety) so your favourites out of rice, pasta, couscous or similar. I use breadmaker so keep in breadflour/yeast.

*something to make a couple of basic sauce - so tinned tomatoes or passata, then plain flour (assuming you keep in butter and milk), or maybe tin of condensed soup or jar of something.

* dried herbs and spices - I keep as basic smoked paprika (sweet & hot), chilli powder, cumin, chilli flakes, oregano, rosemary (since dh killed my rosemary bush), chives which are the ones I use most regularly. Plus salt and black pepper, and any vinegars you use regularly (I keep red wine and balsamic).

* other useful stuff I find are tomato puree, and then either garlic paste (though one that is stored in oil not vinegar as the vinegar affects the taste) or garlic puree (can get it in a tube like tomato) and ginger puree (again in oil not vinegar)

*stock cubes - I always have beef and chicken

*sugar, marmite, crackers/oatcakes, raisins and basic condiments - malt vinegar, tomato ketchup, brown sauce and chilli sauce.

* I also keep in noodles (dh makes chilli noodles for lunch) and sketti hoops (quick lunch for me)

I also keep in freezer

*frozen veg - even if only peas, I also keep frozen peppers and you can add diced onions (do them yourself)

*frozen fruit - mixed berries for smoothies or quick sauce for yoghurt/ice cream (literally warm in a pan, add sugar and lemon juice to taste).

*frozen grated cheese (grated yourself if you want though it will clump then) - can use from frozen if your cooking it.

*frozen meat - diced chicken, mince, and usually something with a sauce e.g. pulled pork or chilli con carne that makes very quick meal

In fridge

* eggs

* cheese

* bacon

* I usually keep cucumber/pepper/tomatoes as veg for quick kids lunch

Fresh

*apples/satsumas/bananas

*onions

I am nicking the chorizo idea though as never thought of that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now