Talk

Advanced search

any ideas for a main course for a 50th birthday dinner for 8?

(15 Posts)
sphil Tue 06-Sep-11 18:58:57

with the following criteria:

cooked on hob if possible (my friend's main oven is broken, altho she does have a top oven with two shelves)
no eggs, fresh chillis, aubergine, olives or shellfish

Any ideas? Ideally I'd like to prepare it at home in advance and transport (we have a camper van with fridge) so I dont have to do too much cooking when I get there, but this isnt essential. I quite fancy a sharing sort of meal, where everyone dips in. Like fajitas...but maybe a bit more special?

TIA

BlingLoving Tue 06-Sep-11 21:39:23

Go retro with a fondue?

sphil Tue 06-Sep-11 21:42:49

Oh, I used to love fondues! Think my set went to a boot sale long ago sadly...

Lizcat Wed 07-Sep-11 13:11:10

Check the good food website there is a recipe for an amazing beef casserole with cranberry cooked on the hob. There are five ingredients it is dead simple and everyone I have ever cooked it for has said how fab it is. You could cook it at home and just warm it through at friends house.

sphil Wed 07-Sep-11 14:00:44

Thanks will check that out now.

sphil Wed 07-Sep-11 14:10:49

That looks just the thing Lizcat - thanks! Will try it out this weekend.

brodanbell Thu 08-Sep-11 00:09:21

Along the same lines as the beef casserole, how about a Morrocan lamb tagine? They are actually better the longer you let the flavour develop and there's no chilli in them. Cook it at home (you don't actually need a tagine, a good large preferably cast iron pan will do), and then re-heat it on the hob at your friends. If you prefer to cook it there then you can still do so on the hob. Serve it with some cous cous flecked with pomegranate and fresh herbs - good recipes on BBC food section or BBC Good Food and maybe some flat breads.
For a starter think Middle East mezze - you can cheat and buy stuff from your local deli; hummous, pitta breads, grilled halloumi, tzatziki,tabbouleuh salad etc.

sphil Thu 08-Sep-11 17:27:05

Yes I had thought about a tagine - but one of my friends doesnt like raisins, so I wondered if the fruit/meat combination might put her off. Shame, because I love it!

sphil Thu 08-Sep-11 17:28:48

Yes I had thought about a tagine - but one of my friends doesnt like raisins, so I wondered if the fruit/meat combination might put her off. Shame, because I love it!

anonymousbird Thu 08-Sep-11 19:47:01

Currently salivating over the beef and cranberry! Have just added to my folder on the website....

Am also checking for tagine recipes, as with autumn closing in, it really is the time of year for big pot cooking!

God I'm hungry now, must be nearly supper time!

brodanbell Thu 08-Sep-11 23:19:11

Re: raisin hating friend - she can pick them out! Although don't think I have ever put raisins in mine. I've used a Nigella recipe before and I am sure it was just dates in it. Still if fruit/meat combo is not likely to go down well then steer clear.

sphil Fri 09-Sep-11 22:11:58

Oh no, I wouldnt put raisins in - I just thought if she didnt like raisins she might not like the tagine flavour.

I made the beef / cranberry stew today as a trial run. It tastes OK but I did use Sainsburys basic stewing steak and el cheapo red wine on the premise that if it was good with these ingredients it woud be fantastic with decent meat and a slightly less <ahem> acidic wine... Will eat it tomorrow when its had time to mellow and make a decision then.

Am I right in thinking that whisking a knob of butter in at the end will make the sauce glossy? It does look a little....erm....sludgey brown at the moment.

serin Sat 10-Sep-11 19:56:52

I make similair with beef and redcurrant jelly.
Venison and redcurrant would make it more special.

moragbellingham Sat 10-Sep-11 19:56:57

Tom Aitkens slow cooked lamb shoulder from the C4 website. I sometimes make it with shanks or a leg.
It tasted much nicer in the restaurant but i was prob using very cheap balsamic vinegar (Modena one - 99p from Tesco) so can't complain. It does need lots of green veg and buttery and creamy mash with it.

Herecomesthesciencebint Sat 10-Sep-11 21:38:52

what about a really nice pasta recipe as all hob based. could do a carbonara and serve with a crisp green salad and fresh parmasan.

or coq au vin? only issue with chicken pieces is that enough for 8 people needs a blooming big pan!

what about curry? do a couple in advance then heat thru and serve with rice, cut up naan bread pieces and dips like raitta and mango chutney. you could do a dhal and then a lamb one or a chicken dish and something like bombay potatoes or cauliflower curry? again all excellant in advance and heated thru as flavours develop.

Jamie does a recipe for a delish beef stew with dumplings but I guess that needs an oven to cook them really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now