Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Food hygiene question - will this stock be ok?

(5 Posts)
BettyButterknife Tue 06-Sep-11 13:27:07

I got a whole chicken out of the freezer on Sunday afternoon, let it defrost for 24 hours in the fridge, roasted it yesterday afternoon.

Last night I boiled up the carcass and made it into stock, at about 8pm. I then promptly forgot about it and it remains in the pan where it's been all night.

I was planning to use it to make a chicken pie to eat tonight - will it be ok or shouldn't I risk it?

Cheria Tue 06-Sep-11 13:28:50

Did you put it in the fridge when you found it this morning? How warm was your kitchen? I personally would risk it but wouldn't use for a small child.

Solo Tue 06-Sep-11 13:31:18

My kitchen is very cool, so I often leave things on the stove over night (including chicken stock). Never had any problems.
If you have a warm kitchen, I would give it a good sniff, maybe even taste it, then decide.

BettyButterknife Tue 06-Sep-11 13:46:13

No, Cheria, it remains on the hob. It's not a very warm kitchen.

Will give it a try, Solo - the pie will be cooked for 45 minutes or so which should get it to a high enough temperature to kill of any bugs. The chicken I'm using is freshly bought today.

Cheria Tue 06-Sep-11 13:53:51

It'll be fine as long as is reheated properly. I really wouldn't worry. Fancy posting your recipe for the pie <drool emoticon>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now