Talk

Advanced search

please give me your recipes for cakes that freeze well:)

(23 Posts)
triplets Sun 04-Sep-11 22:28:44

Next Sun 11th I am hosting a tea party in my garden to raise money for The National Brain Appeal for research in neurology, as my two friends have brain tumours. Don`t want to rely on last minute cake donations so need to get my pinny on! Any recipes please for cakes that will freeze successfully? Thanks.

jenniec79 Sun 04-Sep-11 22:30:51

Mum batch bakes Mary Berry's Tea Loaf, which is yummy as slices either warm or cold, with or without butter.

Pretty much any non-fatfree sponge will freeze pre-decorations though.

triplets Sun 04-Sep-11 22:32:23

Thanks, that was quick! Will google the recipe now!

pengymum Sun 04-Sep-11 22:41:14

muffins are quick and easy to make and impressive - there is a raspberry and white choc muffin recipe on here that is very good.
I recommend this book:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Muffins-Fast-Fantastic-Susan-Reimer/dp/0952885824

Once you read the explanation of how it works, you can make pretty much any flavour you like! I once did about 12 dozen for a school cake sale and it only took me a couple of hours from start to finish (and that was only cos my oven could only fit 4 batches in at a time)
Freshly baked muffins will sell like er hotcakes!
Also you can bake in loaf shaped tins as big cake if you prefer tho individual ones tend to sell better. I think you can get mini loaf shaped cake moulds if you want to go for diff looks.

Oh you can also freeze them if you don't want to bake fresh but believe me they sell incredibly well fresh - the smell helps! grin

triplets Sun 04-Sep-11 23:15:13

Hi Pengy, I am pretty good at baking but my one attempt at muffins failed, they were heavy and stodgy, what did I do wrong? Have got bags of raspberries in my freezer I need to use from our allotment, so could be a poss?

pengymum Mon 05-Sep-11 00:57:02

Hi triplets, that Susan Reimer book is excellent at explaining how and why muffins work but the top tip for lovely light muffins is to not overmix. You only need to mix lightly - the mixture should look lumpy. Most people think you have to get rid of the lumps BUT that is a mistake! A few stirs with a big spoon and that's it! Try a trial batch to see.

Also use baking powder with self raising flour - don't leave it out.
I use 1tsp with SR or 3 tsp with plain flour.

Another tip is to fill cases 3/4 full so you get big muffins. Don't skimp. One batch should make 12 muffins

Frozen raspberries are great - mix wet and dry ingredients then add the frozen raspberries and chunks of white choc - I chop up a 200g bar of own brand Belgian choc for baking. When I make these for school cake sales and take them in, still warm from oven, they are sold before they hit the table.

What I also do, sometimes, if we have overnight guests is to prepare the dry and wet ingredients the night before, keep in fridge and then when I get up, mix the two together and spoon into cases, out in oven and go for shower! By the time I am out of the shower, they are ready. Smells great - actually a good tip for house selling rather than baking bread! Muffins and coffee mmm

triplets Mon 05-Sep-11 23:08:44

Hi Pengy, am going to try them as they sound so devinesmile How far in avance could I make them do you think, it pretty much looks like the baking is down to me so its time! Can you tell me also what exactly is the difference between a cupcake and a muffin?

triplets Mon 05-Sep-11 23:16:34

Have just ordered the book from Amazon, a bargain! Thanks smile

pengymum Tue 06-Sep-11 15:33:41

I think cupcakes are sweeter - have more fat/sugar in them than muffins. Also texture - cupcakes should be quite light and spongy whereas muffins are bit denser (but still can be quite light if you have the knack!) And cupcakes (or fairy cakes) are usually have fancy icing/decorations but muffins are not always.
Cupcakes are deffo more work as have to cream butter and sugar etc and then make icing and pipe. Muffins are much easier! For toppings, can drizzle lemon muffins with icing sugar and lemon juice mix and a bit of lemon zest.
Yummy!

triplets Tue 06-Sep-11 23:08:04

Would you think the rasp ones should be made fresh on the day?

pengymum Tue 06-Sep-11 23:58:04

Well I like to make them all fresh but its sort of my 'thing'. You could do them the night before though and they would still be good.
Some more good recipes are Mary Berry's traybakes - easy to do and no baking cases to faff about with. Ice and cut into portions.
And of course Brownies!
I have the best ever brownie recipe if you don't have a tried and tested one!

Just remembered the muesli slice recipe too -

Try this - can't get much easier or yummier!! And easy to double up too. Just mixing, no special techniques needed!

Muesli Slice
1 cup = 250ml volume
1/2 cup = 125ml volume

Ingredients:
2 medium size eggs beaten
4 oz butter
2 tbsp honey
1 cup natural muesli (even better with deluxe nuttier ones)
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup desiccated coconut
½ cup currants
½ cup chopped dried apricots
½ cup wholemeal flour (plain or self raising)
½ cup flaked almonds

Method
1. Preheat oven to 160°C
2. Grease and line the base of a deep sided 19cm x 29 cm traybake tin
3. Melt butter and honey together gently in large pan. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
4. Add all ingredients to pan except eggs and mix well.
5. Then add beaten eggs and mix well.
6. Press mixture into tin and bake for 30-35 mins.
7. Turn out onto wire rack and allow to cool. Cut into slices with sharp knife to serve.

Enjoy!

pengymum Wed 07-Sep-11 00:00:48

The Susan Reimer book is excellent - do take the time to read her introduction to muffin making though as it really makes it clear how and why it works and how easy it is to adapt the basic recipe. And just remember - don't overmix!

MadamDeathstare Wed 07-Sep-11 00:06:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

triplets Thu 08-Sep-11 00:22:54

Thanks both, will def do them, just bakes mini apples pies tonight, 30 and 30 mince pies, not xmas yet I know but the oldies will love them!

pengymum Thu 08-Sep-11 01:05:05

Yum! I love mince pies! grin

triplets Thu 08-Sep-11 23:39:23

Pengy the muffin book arrived today from Amazon and I already have in the freezer 12 lemon muffins and 12 apple and walnut topped ones, divine and a doddle thank you smile

pengymum Fri 09-Sep-11 00:03:44

WOW! triplets! That's really AMAZING! Well done you! Sounds like is going to be some party! Yum!
I am glad you found the book useful - It was one of my best buys ever! Susan Reimer is excellent teacher - explains everything so well. I wish she would bring out some more!
I recommend the carrot & orange ones too - with or without cream cheese icing.
I have never done this but am wondering if you could 'refresh' the frozen muffins in a preheated oven for a few mins? I do this with scones and it works really well. Maybe worth a trial run with a few to see? The reason for suggesting it is that you would get the 'freshly baked' smell to entice people and also a warm muffin is goood!
Ah just thought of something else - in case you don't already do it, if using raisins and/or sultanas or any dried fruit, soak for a couple of hours in cooled tea or cointreau or orange juice to plump up. Would work with plain water too but can add flavour with diff juices and I am sure that a liqueur like cointreau would be popular with adults. grin
Cheers!
brew

triplets Fri 09-Sep-11 23:11:49

Hi Pengey..........yes I had planned to do that think it will as you say refresh them. Just baked 40 Devonshire scones tonight, tomorrow it will be whole cake day! Weather forecast is dire for Sun, need a contingency plan!

pengymum Sat 10-Sep-11 00:30:59

I'd come for the cakes if you were close! Sounds fab spread! Hope weather turns out well for u!

triplets Sat 10-Sep-11 07:53:22

I`m in Deal nr Dover!

pengymum Sat 10-Sep-11 14:57:00

hmm I'd travel for cake but is too far from London! sad

triplets Sun 11-Sep-11 23:16:39

Hi Pengy................just thought I`d let you know how the tea party went today! Rain threatened to spoil it, on/off but about 30 people turned up and we raised £170 which was really good. My muffins were HUGE success, so thank you for your inspirationsmile

pengymum Mon 12-Sep-11 09:53:07

Glad it went well despite the weather! Muffins are so easy once you know what you are doing! Susan Reimer rocks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now