Talk

Advanced search

Can herbs go off?

(5 Posts)
spotofcheerfulness Sun 04-Sep-11 14:01:21

In the middle of cooking at my mum's house and discovered all her herbs are BB 2003. I am not shock as she doesn't believe in the concept for non perishables, and there is still a whiff of something herby. But would I be poisoning us if I used them?

mousymouse Sun 04-Sep-11 14:13:10

just sniff, if they smell like herbs they are ok, if they smell mouldy or musty drop them in the bin.
usually they just lose flavour but it can happen hat they go off if too much moisture gets in the tin.

CointreauVersial Sun 04-Sep-11 14:16:33

They just lose flavour.

I probably have a few antiques in my herb and spice drawer too - usually the obscure ones bought for a specific recipe and never used again.

BUT I always buy cheaper refills and fill up the old jar, so the date on the side of the jar is irrelevant. Check your mum hasn't done that.

spotofcheerfulness Sun 04-Sep-11 15:04:38

Def not refilled. She is very frugal, used about 3 sprinkles of herbs a year. I think I'll err on the side of caution this time as there's a bit of mustiness I'm sure! Thanks smile

mousymouse Sun 04-Sep-11 15:49:37

that's not frugal...that is tasteless.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now