Talk

Advanced search

What's the deal with these 'slow cooker' things?

(5 Posts)
mmmmmchocolate Sat 03-Sep-11 14:48:37

And do I need one?

Almost every thread I read in the food/recipe sections mention slow cookers. They seem to be hailed as the god of kitchen appliances! My mother is always mentioning hers and so far I've always just smiled and nodded...

I make a casserole in the oven usually once a week September through to April so the oven is on for approx 4 hours for that dish (just meat and potatoes as DD won't eat if I cook veg with it for that long) is the saving in electric really substantial?

Also I'm short of kitchen space so is it worth it for one meal a week? Can I use it for anything other than stews and soups?

deemented Sat 03-Sep-11 14:53:49

Firstly, i'd suggest you take a good trawl through the SC threads on here - they are loads.

Secondly, yes you need at least one.

I have three and i use one of them at least four times a week. I make everything in mine. Soups, stews, casseroles, curries, spag bol, whole joints of meat and chickens, rice puds, porridge, sponge puddings and cakes.

I honestly would not be without mine at all.

mmmmmchocolate Sat 03-Sep-11 15:08:02

So I do need one....

Whole joints of meat? I never realised that could be cooked in one would it be a braised joint of meat? Like the thought of rice pud I hadn't thought of that and cakes?!

I think I'll try just the one first though grin

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 03-Sep-11 15:29:24

I don't have one or need one. However, I do have a very nice oven that has a timer which I can set to come on while I'm out at work, meaning slow-cook casseroles & pot-roasts etc., are ready by the time I get home.

deemented Sat 03-Sep-11 16:49:46

You can really do any cut of meat in them. Cheaper cuts that need cooking for longer work well, Brisket is really good, and silverside of beef is delicious. Whole chickens come out succulent and moist and the meat literally just falls off the bones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now