Talk

Advanced search

Gluten free?

(11 Posts)
schroeder Fri 02-Sep-11 21:46:29

A friend of mine is coming to visit she cannot tolerate gluten, I want to make her something she can enjoy.

My repertoire consists of flapjacks and banana oat cookies and I've made these for her before.

CMOTdibbler Fri 02-Sep-11 21:47:54

gf choc brownies are easy and nice - buy a bag of Doves Farm DF SR flour and use the recipe on the pack

hellymelly Fri 02-Sep-11 21:56:24

Oats can be tricky,as they can contain gluten (often contaminated by wheat).Is she coeliac? If so I would only get gluten free oats,Nairns do them now so supermarkets have them.But I use the Doves Farm flour all the time for baking and it gives really good results,you can use any normal cake recipe. Gluten free cereal and things are easy to get,and then for meals you can use rice,vegetables etc so not a problem.

DottyDot Fri 02-Sep-11 22:00:09

Hi there - Doves Farm self raising flour is fine for making lovely cup cakes - your friend will be really chuffed you've gone to the trouble - although buying some gluten free biscuits from the supermarket would probably be equally pleasing and less trouble! smile

As an ungrateful coeliac, I'd make a plea for you not to buy gluten free chocolate brownies, as you can tend to get a bit fed up of them... Ahem. But that's just me. G-f biscuits are easily available at lots of big supermakets, or yes, use Doves Farm flour to make cakes grin

schroeder Fri 02-Sep-11 22:02:07

She's not coeliac, and has eaten flapjacks and porridge with no problems before.

I've already bought some gluten free flour from asda, probably not the best, but I struggle to go anywhere during the school holidays.

What sort of recipes turn out best? Biscuits maybe- gingerbread men, or buns she and we're not that fussy. smile

Takver Fri 02-Sep-11 22:11:18

What about macaroons? IIRC they are basically ground almonds, egg white and sugar (and are dead easy to make).

(in fact Delia recipe here - she includes a little rice flour)

DottyDot Fri 02-Sep-11 22:29:52

I find cakes turn out better than biscuits - lemon drizzle works well because of the moisture of the lemons. G-f flour can make biscuit/scone mixture very crumbly, so harder to do - I sometimes add an extra egg or more milk. Good luck!

schroeder Sun 04-Sep-11 20:40:04

Thanks for the advice; I made chocolate cupcakes, an old recipe that I was happy with. Positive reviews and a request for the recipe from friend. grin

DottyDot Mon 05-Sep-11 12:40:58

sounds good! grin

missmartha Mon 05-Sep-11 13:05:30

Lots of ideas on the Cannelle et Vanille blog.

http://cannelle-vanille.blogspot.com/2008/01/recipe-index-cakes-flourless-chocolate.html

missmartha Mon 05-Sep-11 13:06:42

Let me try that again. Ahem

cannelle-vanille.blogspot.com/2008/01/recipe-index-cakes-flourless-chocolate.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now