Talk

Advanced search

Freezing stock

(9 Posts)
Tigerinmysoup Fri 02-Sep-11 19:49:24

I made some vegetable stock for the first time this afternoon - about 1.2 litres. I plan to use it in the winter for stews etc. Just wondered what the ideal quantity is to store it in?
I've just been googling it, and notice that a lot of recipe sites say to reduce the stock by half if you're going to freeze it - why would you need to do that? My recipe didn't say that. A bit confuddled. Any advice?

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 02-Sep-11 20:56:52

I think reducing the stock just means it takes up less room in the freezer. I get those pouch freezer bags and put about 1.5 - 2 pints of stock in each. Seems to be about the right amount for a pan of soup later on.

Sleepglorioussleep Sat 03-Sep-11 09:11:24

I think the same-it's about space. My worry with frozen stock is that I often want to use it in dishes destined for the freezer but I think you aren't supposed to re freeze previously cooked and frozen things. What do you think?

Tigerinmysoup Sat 03-Sep-11 10:24:11

That would make sense, for space.
Oh I hadn't even thought about re-freezing stock in a dish. Isn't it ok though if you have changed the form of something, as in cooked it? E.g. if you used previously frozen mince to make a bolognese, it's fine to freeze the bolognese afterwards.

Sleepglorioussleep Sat 03-Sep-11 10:41:10

The rule someone gave me which I generally stick to is freeze once raw, once cooked. So using previously frozen mince to make spag Bol and then freeze the spag Bol when made would be fine. Defrosting mince, cooking it, freezing it, adding to dish and then freezing it not fine. Wonder if stock has same rule?

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 03-Sep-11 10:41:30

I re-freeze dishes that have previously-frozen foods in them. The frozen stock is stable.... reheated to piping hot in the new dish kills any bacteria that develop on defrosting.... cooling/freezing quickly takes it back to stable.

Sleepglorioussleep Sat 03-Sep-11 14:21:43

I think I roughly understand that-it seems you're saying I can refreeze stock containing dishes which is good news and might persuade me to make more stock!

If you reduce the stock, you are simply concentrating the flavour. I tend to reduce my chicken/beef stocks down by a good 50% and freeze in 1/2 pint lots so it's there for a quick bowl of soup or for a sauce of some description. I make up 1/2 pint of concentrated stock to around a pint.

I would freeze in 1 pint batches once you've reduced it by around a third which, with the amount you have made, should give you two lots. When you make your soups etc, just top up with boiled water.

Tigerinmysoup Sat 03-Sep-11 21:23:36

Sounds like a good idea, think I'll do that next time. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now