Talk

Advanced search

Buttermilk

(12 Posts)
GreatGooglyMoogly Fri 02-Sep-11 12:53:52

Where can you buy buttermilk from? Is it on the milk aisle at the supermarket?

SoundTheOctoalert Fri 02-Sep-11 13:05:04

Next to cream, but not always in stock ime. Good Food recommend adding some lemon to milk to turn it into buttermilk:

Know-how Adding a squeeze of lemon juice to the milk sours it slightly, mimicking sharp-tasting buttermilk, often used in scones but sometimes tricky to find. The slightly acidic mix gives a boost to the raising agents in the flour and baking powder.

debka Fri 02-Sep-11 19:45:40

I mix milk with a dash of vinegar.

schroeder Fri 02-Sep-11 21:49:02

I find plain yoghurt is a good substitute too.

but, yes it's usually near the cream in a similar kind of pot.

brilliant stuff. grin

BobbieSox Sat 03-Sep-11 12:42:42

Have just made some cupcakes with some but have half a pot left - any ideas on what else can I make ( apart from more cupcakes!)?

karmakameleon Sat 03-Sep-11 17:08:47

Bobbie, I mix equal parts buttermilk and fruit juice to make a really nice lassi type drink.

Meglet Sat 03-Sep-11 17:10:32

I think it's usually with the cream in Sainsburys. I can only get it in large supermarkets though.

50/50 milk & yoghurt mix is a passable substitute.

OriginalPoster Sat 03-Sep-11 17:11:30

Milk with a squirt of lemon juice is fibe instead of buttermilk.

Jamie said so...

schroeder Sun 04-Sep-11 20:12:32

pancakes if you haven't got enough left you can easily top up the buttermilk with whole milk.

renlo Sun 04-Sep-11 21:25:51

Schroeder, thanks for the link to the pancakes; I have almost a full tub of buttermilk left over from making the Best Chocolate Cake in The Whole World (TM) grin and was dreading having to chuck it!

OP - I find buttermilk fairly easily in the chilled aisle next to cream in both Asda, Tesco, Morrissons and Sainsbos. The one I normally get is made by Dale Farm Lakeland. HTH!

GreatGooglyMoogly Mon 05-Sep-11 07:11:43

Thanks all - After much searching, I'm fairly sure my local Sainbos doesn't have it but I'll try the milk and lemon idea instead smile.

Bobbie, I am going to make soda bread in you're still looking for ideas smile.

BobbieSox Tue 06-Sep-11 17:30:54

Thanks so much for all the ideas - it's still in the fridge so must make a start...quite interested in the Best Chocolate Cake in the World recipe!
(see a theme with my diet? I am very pregnant though)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now