Talk

Advanced search

How do I make an old fashioned jelly/custard fruit trifle??

(7 Posts)
tothemoonandback Fri 02-Sep-11 07:16:34

I have never made one before and want to make one this weekend as I love trifle but I don't know where to start. Does anyone have a recipe for one of the lovely old fashioned raspberry fruity trifles that I remember as a child, I think I need sponge, fruit, jelly, custard and cream but haven't got a clue what to do and how to put them together. Thank you!!

Byeckerslike Fri 02-Sep-11 07:23:35

Put fruit and sponge in bowl, make up jelly and pour over fruit and sponge.
Put in fridge, when its completely set pour custard over top and let that cool and set, probably over night then layer whipped cream on top.
Sprinkle top with hundreds and thousands/grated choc.... Bring to my house for me to demolish grin
Hth

tothemoonandback Fri 02-Sep-11 07:26:27

Sorry to sound a bit thick but is it just normal custard I pour over? and do I need to soak the sponge in anything first? I want to make one now and eat it for my breakfast!!

bigTillyMint Fri 02-Sep-11 07:30:38

You could soak the sponge in sherry. Or use swiss roll sliced up. Normal custard - made from powder following instructions on tin, or use ready-made in tin.

You have to leave the jelly to set before pouring on the custard, and let that set before putting on the cream, so no you can't eat it for your brekky!

marriednotdead Fri 02-Sep-11 07:31:50

Oh yes! Use either trifle sponge (fingers) or Madeira cake to line the dish. Make up jelly, topping up with the juice from the tinned fruit of choice. Add fruit on top of sponge and pour on jelly. It may make the sponge float to the top- it doesn't matter. When set in the fridge, add custard. To avoid a skin forming, cover with clingfilm so that it is actually touching the surface of the custard. When that's set, remove the clingfilm and add whipped cream (double or whipping) and some hundreds and thousands. For real 70's authenticity you need Dream Topping but I haven't seen it for years!

I do a grown up version using orange jelly, mandarin pieces and a minature of Cointreau soaked into the sponge. I skip the custard and crumble a Flake on top of the cream. This is making me hungry grin

pickledparsnip Fri 02-Sep-11 07:52:33

Birds make little trifle packs for you to make at home. Includes dream topping!

tothemoonandback Fri 02-Sep-11 08:10:33

Thank you, I am very excited!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now