Talk

Advanced search

Why is my quiche always overdone on top and runny in the middle?

(11 Posts)
birdsofshoreandsea Thu 01-Sep-11 16:36:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

thisisyesterday Thu 01-Sep-11 16:38:22

lower your temp. do you have a fan oven?
generally speaking, if things are cooking quicker on the outside than in then you need to keep them in longer on a lower temp

mosschops30 Thu 01-Sep-11 16:38:42

Cos u is cooking it too high too quick smile

AMumInScotland Thu 01-Sep-11 16:38:57

I don't really do quiche, but if anything's runny in the middle and burnt on top, I'd say you need to do it at a lower temperature for a bit longer - your oven may just be a bit hotter than it says, they do all vary a bit.

ShatnersBassoon Thu 01-Sep-11 16:39:25

You need to lower the temp you're baking it at.

birdsofshoreandsea Thu 01-Sep-11 16:44:20

EmpressOfTheSevenOceans Thu 01-Sep-11 16:47:27

If the top's done first then I'd put foil or baking paper over it while the middle finishes cooking.

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 01-Sep-11 16:48:32

Ovens vary a lot in temperature... some run hot, others run cool... and the shelf you choose can also make a difference to the outcome. You could try putting it on a lower shelf next time or turning the dial down to 5 rather than 6.

To rescue it now, remove from tin and microwave for a minute. Won't hurt the pastry and it'll firm up the egg.

thisisyesterday Thu 01-Sep-11 16:49:18

also worth letting it sit for 5-10 minutes after you take it out,... the egg will continue to cook from the heat even though it isn't in the oven.

6 is pretty normal temp to cook quiche at iirc, but it might just be that your oven runs a little hotter so you need to adjust for that.

also don't put it on the top shelf. put it on the middle or bottom

midnightexpress Thu 01-Sep-11 16:50:41

I'd second putting foil on the top if it's browning too quickly while the rest cooks.

birdsofshoreandsea Thu 01-Sep-11 16:52:19

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now