Talk

Advanced search

Salmon fillets out of date by two days - okay to use? (or how to tell?)

(13 Posts)
FlubbaBubba Wed 31-Aug-11 14:42:34

I'm a non-fish eater (it's against my religion wink) but bought some salmon fillets for my baby and totally forgot about them. Their use-by date is the 29th. Do I need to chuck them or is there a way to tell if they're okay to use (for my 7m old baby)? confused

(blush at not knowing, but am a true Fish Virgin wink)

MrsRhettButler Wed 31-Aug-11 14:43:59

no!

seriously, how do they smell?

MrsRhettButler Wed 31-Aug-11 14:44:31

they should smell off tbh

Casmama Wed 31-Aug-11 14:45:10

If it was for yourself I would say have a sniff and if it doesn't smell too fishy then it is probably okay. However, I would not take a chance with a 7 month old baby - can you imagine how you would feel if you gave your small baby food poisoning? I don't think it is worth it.

FlubbaBubba Wed 31-Aug-11 14:46:26

what's the "no!" to? No, don't chuck them, or No, there's no way of telling? grin

Getting my DH to smell them now (he eats fish)... He says, and I quote "they smell like salmon fillets" "fishy, but not yucky" (his opinion!), "pink and not discoloured"

MrsRhettButler Wed 31-Aug-11 14:48:03

well it was a 'no! don't feed your child gone off fish!'

sorry that wasnt clear

i agree with maybe fine for yourself but wouldnt risk it for a baby smile

FlubbaBubba Wed 31-Aug-11 14:49:47

No, fish is Never fine for me smile

I thought that might be the answer sad - I shall feed them to my DH let my DH poison himself instead

I would, assuming it's not discoloured and smells fine.

FlubbaBubba Wed 31-Aug-11 14:50:26

You're right, I don't think I'd feel great casmama grin

FlubbaBubba Wed 31-Aug-11 14:52:31

Ooh RockStock you're putting a spanner in the works

suburbandream Wed 31-Aug-11 14:52:49

I'd eat them myself (in fact DH and I had out-of-date haddock yesterday and we're still here smile) but I wouldn't give them to a baby. Just to be on the safe side.

Sorry... I'm always occasionally not remembering the dates on stuff and have always gone by the 'if it looks, smells and feels ok, then it is ok'. All four DC have been fine over the pst 18 years. Youngest is 2 and eats day/two day out of date fish etc. The only thing I wouldn't do would be clams, prawns, mussels etc.

If worried, I'd just quickly fry a little bit, get DH to taste - he will know if it's absolutely fine immediately. Seriously, though, if it smells (to him) every so slightly not fresh, don't use it. If it doesn't then imo it will be fine.

FlubbaBubba Wed 31-Aug-11 15:03:16

Good tip rockstock - I'm the same with most foods, just don't know my way round fish at all.

Ta peoples, will have a go at poisoning DH tonight, and if unsuccessful, will try and posion the older kids insteadsmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now