Talk

Advanced search

Nice thick readymade custard??

(6 Posts)
MsMarple Mon 29-Aug-11 21:03:21

Hello wise ones,

I am making a trifle for a buffet on Thursday, along with a ton of other food, all whilst trying to convince a grubby fingered 3 year old that I really don't need his help - so I'm looking to save time and energy wherever possible.

Can anyone recommend a nice very thick readymade custard that I can use?

Googling has already informed me that the fact I want to use jelly in said trifle puts me firmly at the common end of the social spectrum, so I am certainly not going to start fussing over whether it is tinned, cartoned or chilled. I just want it to be thick and tasty!

Which ones are best do you think?

brightwell Mon 29-Aug-11 21:06:20

Ambrosia everytime for me.

flatbread Mon 29-Aug-11 21:24:53

Sainsbury's 'taste the difference' custard with real Madagascar vanilla. Yum!

DirtyMartini Mon 29-Aug-11 21:26:28

M&S extra thick one (cannot remember if that is its exact name but I am sure it's "extra" something on the tub). They do a normal ready-made custard but it's really not as good, much thinner and sweeter. The extra expensive thick one is marvellous.

MsMarple Mon 29-Aug-11 21:56:49

Champion, thanks very much. I will see which of these I can find in town tomorrow.

LordOfTheFlies Mon 29-Aug-11 22:53:29

Sainsbo TTD is blooming gorgeous (and I don't even like custard )!

But it's not thick. I use it is my trifle -no jelly though I'm not common herd a vegetarian - but it does look a bit sad after the first couple of spoonsfuls have been taken out.

I found the M&S luxery one was too vanilla. Not tried Waitrose yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now