Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about breadmakers

(4 Posts)
PatTheHammer Mon 29-Aug-11 17:32:35

So,

My MIL gave me their breadmaker today that they have only used about 5-6 times and I said I would give it a go.

I have had a flick through the books that have come with it to get some ideas and tomorrow I am going to buy a couple of bread flours and some skimmed milk powder (which seems to appear in lots of the recipes).

Anyway, it all looks a bit complicated. Is there some really easy ways to use them, like packet mixes or something? Or is it always better to mix your own ingredients? Are there any things that you have used yours for that have turned out really great?

Any other top tips for a complete novice?

Or should I just take it down the carboot next week and flog itblush?

TIA

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 29-Aug-11 18:26:44

You can get packet mixes. Typically a 500g packet gets added to 330mls water in the machine and press 'go' for the basic recipe... dead easy and there are some nice flavours to choose from. But it's also easy to put in your own ingredients and you can be more in charge of quality and flavour. If you have 'add & weigh' type scales it's a simple matter of standing the tin on the scales and adding the bits and pieces.

My 'standard loaf' in my Panasonic on the 'rapid' programme is....
14oz extra strong bread flour - best quality you can afford
300mls water
knob of butter
tablespoon of milk powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
sachet of easy-blend yeast for bread machines

That one always turns out perfect and I keep the proportions the same but occasionally adapt it with wholemeal flour, seeds, olives, oil rather than butter etc., etc.,

Another tip... keep bread machine out where you can see it and you'll use it. Final tip... make bread the night before you need it. Fresh bread is lovely in the morning but a bugger to slice smile

dreamingofsun Mon 29-Aug-11 20:49:09

easy to do from scratch. also good for pitza bases

PatTheHammer Tue 30-Aug-11 10:46:16

Thanks guys-great tips!

Good to know the packet mixes are worth it, think I will try a couple of them first and then get onto the harder stuff of measuring and weighing.

I'll let you know what I think!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now