Talk

Advanced search

Creamy Potato Salad anybody?

(11 Posts)
LucyDeSpiderman Mon 29-Aug-11 12:43:30

Just after a simple, bog standard potato salad recipe. Like the potato salad you can buy ready made, but you know..a bit nicer!

TheOriginalFAB Mon 29-Aug-11 16:42:53

I have a delicious recipe for a potato salad but it is not creamy, it is a whole lot better. The shop ones are usually awful ime. Let me know if you want me to post it.

notnowImreading Mon 29-Aug-11 17:11:17

This is my favourite (reminds me of my childhood, plus I am a lazy cook). My husband hates it. New potatoes, cut small. Mayonnaise (start with 1 dessertspoon). Salt and Pepper. That's it. My mum makes one with Greek yoghurt and ground cumin that wins her lots of fans at picnics but I hate it.

SardineQueen Mon 29-Aug-11 17:23:42

You prob want some spring onions or chives chopped up small and in the mix

I make my pot salad with salad cream but then that's just my little foible grin

BecauseImWorthIt Mon 29-Aug-11 17:27:26

Cook your potatoes till properly cooked through. IMO shop-bought stuff is always too hard!

Drain them and return to the pan to let them steam for a couple of minutes, then put them into a serving dish and dress with olive oil and lemon juice, and season with salt and black pepper. Do this while it's still hot and it will absorb the dressing.

Just before serving stir through either some mayonnaise or natural yoghurt (which ever you prefer), and some finely chopped chives.

peeriebear Mon 29-Aug-11 17:29:43

I do dash of vinegar with a wee bit of brown sugar in it over the potatoes while hot, then mix them with mayo, chopped gherkins and chopped onion. Salt and pepper. It's gorgeous and I am always asked to make it for parties.

RoyalWelsh Mon 29-Aug-11 17:35:07

I used to make one with creme fraiche and red onion, which was nice. Nothing like a shop bought one, but it was lovely <reminisces>

SardineQueen Mon 29-Aug-11 17:48:40

Whatever you do, don't put a bought mayo on while it's still hot or even warm as it will go transparent and weird.

SardineQueen Mon 29-Aug-11 17:48:59

I say bought mayo as I have never made my own and have no idea how it would perform!!!

Catsmamma Mon 29-Aug-11 17:52:52

i make my own mayo, if you use the whole egg it will go a bit wierd if the potatoes are hot, but if it's just with the yolks it'll be fine so long as the potatoes are not mad hot

i put a good squeeze of lemon juice in the mayo instead of vinegar, loads of salt and pepper, and a big pile of snipped chives

and definitely mix the tatties into the mayo while warm.

Sometimes i just use shop mayo but with a spoonful of creme fraiche or sour cream.

pengymum Mon 29-Aug-11 17:56:03

I use half plain yoghurt and half hellmanns mayo, mix thoroughly add pepper (enough salt in the mayo for me!).
Add finely chopped onion (red if I have it).
If I have the time, I finely chop a hardboiled egg and some gherkins too but usually don't bother.
Mix in warm (not hot) just cooked, roughly cubed potatoes and then finish off with some snipped chives to decorate.
Eat as is or when cool (or bothgrin), usually goes down well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now