Talk

Advanced search

What new recipes have you made recently?

(20 Posts)
ComradeJing Mon 29-Aug-11 04:27:37

Last night I made AWT's whiskey & ginger ribs from the slow cooking book. Bloody brilliant and much nicer than the shop bought glaze that we compared it with. Used a normal yellow pepper instead of a long chilli/pepper thing and used whiskey instead of bourbon but it was just fantastic.

I'm trying to be more adventurous with cooking so please, tell me what new recipes you have made recently, how did it go and would you recommend it!

sleeplessinderbyshire Mon 29-Aug-11 05:21:09

i've fallen madly for the HF-W shin of beef with ginger and soy receipe. I've made it loads and it never fails to please, my mum liked it so much she's started making it too

Canella Mon 29-Aug-11 05:35:06

Jamie Olivers "Proper Blokes sausage fusilli" is my fave new recipe to cook at the moment. The combination of fennel seeds and the chilli are delicious - I could eat the whole pot of it.

Breedy Mon 29-Aug-11 13:15:48

Mmmm whiskey and ginger ribs sounds fab will have to try it!

ComradeJing Tue 30-Aug-11 03:42:19

Sleepless which book is that recipe from please?

Breedy, it really was fab. We had the leftovers last night stripped off the ribs and mixed with pasta sauce made from tinned chopped toms, an onion, a yellow pepper and some philly cheese.

kiwijesta Wed 31-Aug-11 07:15:48

Last week I started meal planning and used 5 new recipes (food obsessed grin) and the best was IMO a Moroccan chicken lemon and olive stew with cous cous from Drlicious mag's website. DH liked Bill Granger's lamb curry from Bill's Basics. This week it's more Bill, a Jamie at Home fav and a couple from WW books, and have managed to loose a stone in the last 5 weeks too!grin

kiwijesta Wed 31-Aug-11 07:16:25

Try Delicious magazine!

lucamom Wed 31-Aug-11 10:56:43

Lamb and butternut squash tagine from cook yourself thin (ch 4 I think)-google it and you should find it no probs. I've made it a few times recently as, apart from a butternut squash and an onion (which both keep well for ages anyway), you can keep lamb in the freezer and everything else is store cupboard stuff. I added dried apricots for.extra nutrition.

sleeplessinderbyshire Wed 31-Aug-11 22:47:39

recipe from river cottage every day

this is the same (or similar can't face getting up and finding book to be sure)
http://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/shin-of-beef-with-chilli-ginger-and-soy/

ComradeJing Thu 01-Sep-11 01:43:25

Excellent, I have that river cottage book.

Kiwi envy

mathanxiety Thu 01-Sep-11 01:57:58

Nothing very fancy, just Swedish meatballs with gravy, from an old book I bought at a sale. They licked their plates though.

Xiaoxiong Thu 01-Sep-11 11:11:22

Black beans and rice (moros y cristianos). It was swooningly delicious - don't have a slow cooker so I soaked the beans for 6 hours and then simmered with fried onions, peppers and garlic for an hour, mixed in uncooked white rice, a tin of tomatoes and some smoked paprika and baked in the oven for an hour to the top went crusty and it was all velvety underneath. Absolute heaven! Served it with a chopped salad of tomatoes, coriander and salad onions, and some warm tortillas from the supermarket. I costed it up and it served 6 for under £5 (ingredients for beans and rice about £2.50, 6 tortilla wraps £1).

EPPP Thu 01-Sep-11 12:56:50

How much water did you put in tyelperion?
I have been experimenting with stuffed tomatoes. I made yummy ones stuffed with breadcrumbs ,cheese and chives and the tomato middles and I made some interesting ones in which I mixed uncooked rice with the tomato middles and it cooked really nicely (basmati) but lacked seasoning and spices as I didn't put any in as I thought it wouldn't work.

Xiaoxiong Thu 01-Sep-11 13:11:44

I soaked in loads of water and changed the water twice.

When simmering I just kept topping up with boiling water as needed, so that the beans were always bubbling gently with enough water to cover. When I mixed in the rice I didn't add any additional liquid besides the tomatoes and then just bunged in the oven and left it for an hour.

ComradeJing Thu 01-Sep-11 14:38:28

Tyelperion that sounds delicious. Was it a recipe or just something in your head?

Xiaoxiong Thu 01-Sep-11 14:44:34

The bean part was in my head but got the idea to mix in uncooked rice from a recipe - I wasn't 100% sure it would work but it was perfection.

I think next time I may throw in some little chorizo sausages too.

notapizzaeater Thu 01-Sep-11 18:43:53

Cumin potatoes

1 tbs cumin seeds, ground coriander ad to 60g butter + 60ml oil heated stir for 1 min add garlic (i stuck in 2 cloves) 1 teaspoon tumeric.

Lob in lots of 1cm cubed cold potatoes, stir, serve - fab filling and cheap !!!

zanz1bar Thu 01-Sep-11 20:52:00

Rick steins paella with chicken and rabbit, fantastic and tasted authentic for my fish hating family.
Going to try the pork in almonds tomorrow

Sianilaa Thu 01-Sep-11 22:39:09

All these sound amazing! I'm always on the lookout for new recipes to try. I'm trying to cook something new every night.

if you want to see my efforts and get recipes, you can read my blog:

www.thedomesticgoddesschallenge.wordpress.com

Hope you like it!
Sian x

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 02-Sep-11 12:26:51

Sushi rolls. I've now mastered perfectly slightly sticky but separate sushi rice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now