Talk

Advanced search

Peeling a satsuma...

(21 Posts)
Bourbonchops Sun 28-Aug-11 23:30:40

Sorry if this is obvious but can I peel a satsuma in the morning and put it my DC lunchbox so she can eat it at lunchtime?
Will it last until lunch if peeled? I'm thinking it will be fine but just want assurance!
Thanks in Advance.

belledechocchipcookie Sun 28-Aug-11 23:31:34

Can you not teach her to do this herself? They are not very hard to peel.

Bourbonchops Sun 28-Aug-11 23:34:09

I know! She's the sort of child where if anything seems vaguely difficult she'd rather not bother- grrrr! Wanted to give her more variety than apples and grapes. She wont attempt to peel a banana either.

pookamoo Sun 28-Aug-11 23:36:26

We found out that DD could peel a satsuma by herself at about 14 months old when we were on our way to swimming, smelt oranges, and when we got there, she had a huge grin and a satsuma peel in her hand - she'd swiped one somehow from the snack bag!

I would imagine a peeled satsuma would be fine if you put it in clingfilm or something? It might go a bit dry, but I should think it would be ok.

belledechocchipcookie Sun 28-Aug-11 23:36:52

Goodness, she'll find school hard then! You have to train her, like a puppy. You'll be doing this forever for her unless you do something about it. I'm sure you have enough to do besides peeling fruit for your little diva. wink

piprabbit Sun 28-Aug-11 23:41:42

Teach her to make satsuma candles - it is fiendishly difficult and you will need to practise quite a lot, so she will have a chance to get really good at peeling satsumas.

Bourbonchops Sun 28-Aug-11 23:43:05

I'm grinning and nodding as I'm reading your comments. It's true, we've only just got her peeling the lids from her own yoghurts! She's just turned 5 but her teachers have said she's behind on her fine motor skills. She often can't open her own bags of crisps.
I sometimes wonder if it's laziness- so frustrating!

belledechocchipcookie Sun 28-Aug-11 23:45:35

Has she been checked for dyspraxia? My son's 12, he can peel an orange but struggles with a banana. Depressing really. Apparently he's not dyspraxic, but hypermobile.

belledechocchipcookie Sun 28-Aug-11 23:46:09

She needs to practice these skills though.

Bourbonchops Sun 28-Aug-11 23:48:33

Her teachers have never mentioned anything about her being dyspraxic- might do a little research into it though- thanks.
We practice at home but I know at school she just asks the dinner ladies to do it for her.

belledechocchipcookie Sun 28-Aug-11 23:51:40

Best of luck. At 5 I'd expect a child to be able to do this though, especially the easy peel ones. If she's unable to do this then start her off. Pretend it's a game and she's making a wiggly worm from the peel. Don't do it for her though as she'll never learn.

Bourbonchops Sun 28-Aug-11 23:56:45

Thanks Belle! I'll keep at it and hopefully get there eventually. grin

belledechocchipcookie Mon 29-Aug-11 00:01:24

Fingers crossed. Just think, 10 years down the line you can either run around after her like her servant or teach her independence. The training starts early as there's a lot to get through.

acsec Mon 29-Aug-11 00:07:22

Just start it off for her - when we have satsumas for fruit time at school many of the children want me to peel them but I always just start it off and tell them to peel it themself whcih they can all manage once the initial 'opening' has been made smile

If she needs fine motor skill practise you need to develop her gross motor skills further too - what is she like at climbing and doing monkey bars etc? Once she gets better gross motor skills her fine motor will improve, so climbing frame in the morning, threading pasta shapes in the afternoon (maybe not that rigidly but you get the idea) smile

TinyPawz Mon 29-Aug-11 00:10:37

My DD is the takes her good sweet time to peel oranges. She never had enough time to peel & eat so I started to peel and put into a little Tupperware box.

cat64 Mon 29-Aug-11 00:43:03

Message withdrawn

BleughCowWonders Mon 29-Aug-11 05:23:53

I've seen plenty of lunch boxes with peeled oranges etc. Makes lunch much quicker for the child so they can get on and play with their friends - no need for so many posters to think there's a problem with each and every one of these children or their parents hmm
Small tupperware or sandwich bag works fine til lunchtime, child has cleaner hands than after peeling an orange

HopeForTheBest Mon 29-Aug-11 16:09:26

I peel it for my ds then put it back into the peel so it doesn't dry out.
He could do it himself, but it would take ages so he probably wouldn't bother, wanting to get back to playing.
At home I usually just start them off for him.
He's 4.5

inia Mon 29-Aug-11 16:15:38

You could make satsuma elephants and keep the satsuma inside the skin

(trick I learned when living in Thailand; I don't even understand why I am surprised there's a youtube video of it)

deemented Mon 29-Aug-11 16:20:53

i'm considerably older than your DD and it takes me the best part of an hour to peel a satsuma or an orange.

I have to get all the evil white pith off, i couldn't contemplate eating any of it.

schroeder Mon 29-Aug-11 20:49:01

Oh where can you buy satsumas at the moment? I love 'em, but I thought they were out of season.

If your dc hasn't got the hang of it yet then yes you can peel and then rewrap in it's own skin or foil which stays on better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now