Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Do you think I can make proper chips in a normal frying pan?

(12 Posts)
bibbitybobbityhat Sun 28-Aug-11 19:14:05

I don't have a deep fat fryer and I only need to make a few chips for the two dc, and I really fancy having a go at proper home made ones.

I will have a go and report back.

Any hints as to timings for fresh medium cut chips?

Tia.

Katisha Sun 28-Aug-11 19:15:54

Dunno but I usually make them in the oven. Cut into chip size, chuck on not too much olive oil and salt and cook on highish heat until done - about half an hour.

LordOfTheFlies Sun 28-Aug-11 20:44:18

There is only one way to make chips and that is the Heston Blumenthal Way.

Pull up a chair, it's long:

Peel and cut your potatoes into chips. (I use Maris Pipers or King Edwards) but HB used Red Desirees.
Soak in cold water to remove the starch.( Half hour or so)
Bring to boil in fresh water, until just sarting to soften .They will be part opaque and rough looking. Careful,as they can overcook if you turn your back on them.
Drain and dry. HB put his in the fridge as it's dry cold but I haven't got room.

Fry at a lower temperature until cooked but not coloured. About 7-8 minutes.
Drain until you need them, then re-fry at a higher heat until they are golden and crispy.
You can do this in stages, it seems like a hassle but it's not. And the chips are The Best.

I recently bought a Lakeland Limited 3 litre fryer (half price) which is fab because it's got the temperature control. When I used to use a big pan and chip basket it was a bit more guesswork.
Don't know if a frying pan would be deep enough TBH.

bibbity use a wok and follow Lord's tips.

Corvax Sun 28-Aug-11 20:47:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Katisha Sun 28-Aug-11 20:48:38

Cripes what a faff!
You'll be telling me you managed to make his Black Forest Gateau with a vacuum extractor and all the other necessary hardware next!

AnnoyingOrange Sun 28-Aug-11 20:52:14

cut up chips
wash the starch off
dry
shallow fry in a frying pan, turning the chips over halfway through the cooking time
or use a saucepan

job done

LordOfTheFlies Sun 28-Aug-11 21:45:36

Of course Katisha
and I went round to the local butchers to buy the bulls testicles to make sweetmeat fruits. (Not)

LordOfTheFlies Sun 28-Aug-11 21:48:43

It's well worth the effort because you can do it in stages and the last minute 'finishing the chips' is done while everything else gets dished up.

Chips are a special treat in our house so deserve to be done properly and IMHO that's Heston Chips.

ghostofstalbans Sun 28-Aug-11 21:49:31

fry them in a pan

ChippingIn Sun 28-Aug-11 21:51:44

LITF - OMG what a faff!!

OP how did it go? All you need is a pan & very very hot oil & you can have fab chips in no time!

queenmaeve Mon 29-Aug-11 14:11:28

I have a deep pan that I do mine in. But my friend is a frieman and he went bananas at me and said it was far too dangerous!
I always rinse and dry off before frying.
When dh does them he puts them in for a bit then takes them out and heats oil up more and finishes them off, not as much messing about as Hestons way but a similar idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now