Talk

Advanced search

How exactly does one cook a whole poached salmon?

(19 Posts)
tassisssss Sat 27-Aug-11 20:42:02

I have a crappy ceramic hob that makes simmering anything difficult (aaaaargh) and I don't want to have to buy a special pan...so I'm thinking it's not for me. Can I buy them ready cooked and pass off as my own?

Are there other salmony dishes that can be made for a party buffet? Or will I push my luck and ask SIL to make her divine salmon and leek pies when she's already having my kiddos so I can get ready...

colditz Sat 27-Aug-11 20:44:52

In the dishwasher

ttalloo Sat 27-Aug-11 20:46:16

If you don't have a fish kettle it's pretty difficult to poach a whole salmon, since you're never going to get it in a saucepan.

You could buy one ready cooked (but they are expensive), but if I were you I'd ask the fishmonger to fillet the salmon for you, and then poach the fillets gently in water, with lemon slices, black peppercorns, salt, dill and parsley, and then once the salmon is cooked and cold, flake it and put it on a platter, surrounded by cucumber slices and with small pot of mayonnaise in the middle. I've done that and it looks very classy. Tastes rather good too, especially if you flavour the mayonnaise with herbs.

MyCatHasStaff Sat 27-Aug-11 20:57:36

poaching in the oven

Moodykat Sat 27-Aug-11 20:58:53

I second dishwasher. Can't remember the exact method though!

Flossbert Sat 27-Aug-11 20:58:59

My mum's always recommended the dishwasher approach. Sounds bonkers though.

Waswondering Sat 27-Aug-11 21:41:48

Costco does a lovely poached salmon .... (or it certainly did fairly recently). Was fairly reasonable iirc.

Barbeasty Sun 28-Aug-11 08:39:37

You can borrow a fish kettle from Waitrose. I think it's free, but can't remember- I know all their glasses etc are.

fivegomadindorset Sun 28-Aug-11 08:40:25

We did one in the dishwasher.

tassisssss Sun 28-Aug-11 08:43:45

No Waitrose or Costco nearby sadly though there are rumours that Waitrose is on the way...

So the dishwasher...I'm really not sure I'm brave enough, tell me more...

fivegomadindorset Sun 28-Aug-11 08:43:56

Or I remember years ago when Hugh FW did a programme called friends for dinner, and they wrapped the salmon in foil, stuck it in the sink, filled with boiling water and left until water went cold (water from kettle).

I do whole salmon in the oven, sat in a little bath of cider or white wine and then the whole thing covered in foil.

You can either have it hot, or let it cool and serve it cold.

hanahsaunt Sun 28-Aug-11 19:58:53

I have fab salmon recipe that you would love (need a whole side of salmon to do but is oven based; think ww has had it if you want to confer re tastiness) - will email it (stupid mumsnet couldn't let me amalgamate my nickname and email addresses so have somehow lost an n in the process ...).

tassisssss Sun 28-Aug-11 20:06:59

HA, please do, sounds perfect.

How odd about the n! x

Waswondering Mon 29-Aug-11 07:55:51

Would confirm tis an excellent recipe!

tassisssss Mon 29-Aug-11 20:30:34

Thanks WW, have the recipe now but i think it might be a bit faffy for me, I'm a much lazier cook than HA!

Waswondering Mon 29-Aug-11 22:35:06

I do have a fish kettle by the way, should you ever need to borrow it ... can't say I've ever used it, so if you need it and I can get it to you, shout. Could it straddle two rings perhaps?

tassisssss Mon 29-Aug-11 22:36:38

check you, WW! when I eventually have a gas hob and can actually simmer things I will bear that in mind!

Waswondering Tue 30-Aug-11 19:00:22

(Yes, I "inherited" it from the "aunt" that occasionally gives us very, very random things. My mother looked at it before thoughtfully proclaiming, "ah yes, a fish kettle. Very useful to have. You never know when you'll need it." As yet, I've never used it. But you never know when I may need it .... wink)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now